"Cornbinder" bus with International High Wheeler???

Many years ago 60's I think, I read an article in an automotive magazine about a man with a converted school bus. It was an International. The inside had some grills from an old bank and was set up as a motor home. The rear had a raised roof and the floor could be lowered to act as a ramp. Parked in this rear portion was his High Wheeler. Does anyone know who had/has this vehicle. Does anyone have a copy of the article. I was looking to do a similar thing and I thought I might eliminate some of the pitfalls if I could get more details about the original one.

About 10 years ago at the NHRA drags in Englishtown New Jersey there was a guy from Canada with a converted Greyhound bus. This thing had a big gullwing portion on the side that opened up to allow a crane to lower an Opel GT onto the ground. Photos are somewhere in the pile here

Bob, I haven't heard the term cornbinder used in connection with an International bus or truck in over 50 years. Thank's for bringing back some good memories of the old guy who used the term all the time.

Howard

Back in the early '80s there was a man, I believe named Bill something, who was from Canada and regularly attended Hershey. He had a converted Greyhound Stratocruiser with a big fin on the top to house the hydraulics to raise the back end and lower a ramp. He carried an early Simplex or Pierce-Arrow (I seem to recall) in the back half of the bus and had the front half set up as a motorhome. Also he had "shortened" an already small British car and kept it in the large luggage compartment crosswise to the bus for use as additonal transportation while parked at Hershey. Sorry I don't have more info.

Guest DeSoto Frank

Tinindian,

I recently recall seeing a post on one of my regular old car websites about a bus like the one you describe...it was almost kind of a Ken Kesey-esque "Magic Bus" creation from the 1960s...

I will try to dig that out and get back to you...

cool.gif

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Since no one else is, I've got to ask. What does the term "cornbinder" mean? I've seen a wheat binder (actually used one), but it doesn't look anything like a bus. Never seen a corn binder, but can't imagine it looking like a bus either. Clue me in, here crazy.gif

Hal,

For as long as I can remember, we always refered to International highway vehicles as Cornbinders. Assuming it had to do with International being in the farming business making tractors, combines, ect, and as well as highway vehicles. However I always thought it originated with the International Model KB series truck. K=Korn B=Binder. (That's my guess anyways.) A friend of mine worked as a mechanic for a International Farm Equipment Dealership and always drove International vehicles. Scouts, pickups, and even a couple different old Model KB's he owned over the years. No matter which one Kenny drove, we called all of them Cornbinders. A few years back, in a side line business I had, I owned a International 1700 Loadstar and we always called it the Cornbinder. laugh.gif

Rick

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Thanks Rick. My Dad had two International dump trucks over the years, but I never heard the cornbinder thing. I did always think it was kinda funny that a truck would have "Harvester" in it's name.