1976 Pontiac Catalina (similar to 76 Buick LeSabre)

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

If I do not get the 60 Bonneville, I seen a 1976 Pontiac Catalina I can buy. Granted, the 76 Catalina is not nearly a classic as the 60 Bonneville, but uncle may buy the 60 Bonneville and I am not sure which one I want. The Catalina I seen today, I think I can get very, very cheap. The for sale sign listed no price. It is like a tan color, with a burgundy vinyl top and interior. There is some rust on the car, mainly around the right rear wheelwell and very little on the quarter panels, as well as a hole on the bottom of the passenger side fender. It looked like the only option was the a/c and vinyl top. No power windows or locks. I would not mind having this one, as I would not have to worry about keeping it in a garage, since it is a #4-5 car. I would mostly use it as a work car. Again, I need help with production numbers. I have my car catalog packed away, so does anyone know the production numbers for the 76 Pontiac Catalina 4-door sedan? I would guess it was the most popular model for 76. I like the 76 Catalinas better than the 75s, because I think the square headlights look better. Now on the Buick LeSabres, I think the round headlights look better on the 75 LeSabre, rather than the square lights on the 76. Any information appreciated.<P>[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]<p>[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Hi Tony: The production for 76 Catalina was 47,235 The wieght is 4,276 lbs, The price new with standard equipment was $4,767, The wheelbase is 124",The standard motor was a 400ci, 170 HP, optional motors were 400CI 185 HP, and 455CI 200 HP

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for the replies. Was going to reply sooner, but the cable system was down on Monday and went out again last night (actually as I was typing a reply to this post) I will try again. Marty, thanks for all of the information and numbers on the 76 Catalina. I still have not called about the car. Actually someone on a Pontiac site similar to this site, who lives about 20 miles from here. They said that there is a 73 Grand Ville located on the west side of Bristol for sale. I am going to check it out as well. It is a #3-4 car, so I will not have to worry about it being out in the weather. He has also mentioned that he had heard about a 1971 Pontiac Grand Safari 9-passenger wagon for sale here in a nearby city. I am going to try to get more info on that car as well. Thanks 66 for the info about the headlights and grille on the 76 Catalinas. I had seen 76 Catalinas posted for sale online before with round lights and I always thought that maybe it was listed wrong and it was actually a 75. Most I have seen have the round lights and I thought it was odd that this Catalina had the front end like the 75 Grand Ville and the 75-76 Bonneville. I think the car can be bought for less than $500. Thanks again for the info.

1976 Catalinas are excellent cars. I took care of one for several years when it was owned by an elderly friend of mine. The 400 V-8 is smooth, quiet, dependable as the Rock of Gibraltar, and trouble-free for 150,000 to 200,000 miles if you take care of it. This particular one had 99,000 miles on it, didn't burn a drop of oil, and ran perfectly no matter whether it stayed out in the snow and ice all night or whatever. I never thought much about these cars before, but after taking care of that one for 5 years, and occasionally driving it, I got a new respect for Pontiac V-8s. Trouble areas are the lousy GM door latches on those full-sized cars, trunk leaks and door weatherstrip leaks, and of course the cheap plastic bumper fillers. Expect about 14 miles per gallon, tops. But, you can buy one cheaply, save on insurance, and be the safest most comfortable driver on the highway! I repeat, they are EXCELLENT cars.<P>Pete Phillips<BR>BCA #7338<BR>Ector, Texas

Guest Shaffer

Fuel mileage will surely be low, but hopefully not as bad as my old 72 Buick Electra with a 455 was. It got about 10-12 MPG. rolleyes.gif" border="0 My biggest complaint with the early and mid 70s General Motors cars is the leaky windows. (Front windshield and rear windshield included)<p>[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]