The other thread is getting too long, the question that is plagueing me now is why Lincoln reverted back to 2 3/4 bore in '46, after having the 2 15/16 bore in 1942??? Were there inherent problems with the '42's?? Were they prone to overheat?? There must be some reason, does anyone know?? Thanks, Rolf

Rolf -- I seem to remember reading something in the club publication to that effect; ie, the '42s suffered from overheating. Perhaps someone has first-hand experience who can confirm?

Rolf,Acording to Thomas Bonsall; " The Lincoln Motorcar, Sixty years of Excellence" the direct reason for returning to the '41 displacement was that the larger bore created problems in manufacture. Evidently the factory experienced an increased amount of waste in the casting operations. The 2-7/8" bore engine block probably cut the waste and the cost? I wonder if any of the members who have '42 V12s experience any perculiarites with these engines compared to the 292s?

Awright, guys. Here's a picture of the 1941 Lincon Continental that Rolf flogged all the way from Los Angeles to Detroit and back WITHOUT an overdrive! That must have been one REAL humming V-12!

Rolf, your original photo had a pound sign (#) in the title that caused it to be rejected.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Rolf, Early 46 Lincolns had the 2 l5/l6 bore. I read somewhere that FOMOCO had a problem hiring quality help after WW II and the sand cores kept shifting and the result was a large pile of scrap iron that was getting expensive. The shift to a smaller bore meant that the sand core was a little less critical in its placement. I suppose that there might have been some 46 large bores that got out with very thin cylinder sleeves also. My understanding was that the 42 did not have a heating problem, but some of the questionable 46s did. I have heard that all of Henry,s flatheads had a heating problem if not kept up.

Bill

Oh Boy Bill, and I heard that they just used up all the rest of the '42 blocks in the '46's, and that they were tried unsuccessfully in WW2 tanks too, and the bore on 292's is 2 7/8, I really do know that, just a mild case of half-zeimers, as my old father in law used to say, "don't get old, you won't like it", and I think he was right, but thanks Bill, that makes another strong suggestion to go with the 2 15/16, and 331 CI, I like it!! Now if that crank stroking outfit that Jack mentioned will get in touch with me, we may have something brewing, Rolf