What year is it?

Guest imported_V12Bill

Guest imported_V12Bill

I just bought what is supposed to be a l946 LC coupe. The title says it is a l946. The Vin is Hl5lxxx with no number before the H. I just got the production card from The Henry Ford and it states the car was completed on Jan. 20, l947!!! I always thought that new models were introduced in Sept. or Oct. Some states listed cars as that year in which they were first registered. Why wasn't my car registered as a l947 and wouldn't a January production be registered as that year and not the previous? This is not the end of the world for me, but I am curious as to why it was titled as a l946? shocked.gifIf anyone has any light to shed on this I would appreciate your input.

Bill

Bill, the last'46 model had a serial no. of H152839. the "46" models were built well into January 1947. Ford did not want to interupt production so they just kept building the '46s. In February 1947 they announced that the cars being produced at the time would be called '47s even tho there were no differences in the cars. It seems that sometime after January 7. 1947 they begin adding the "7" before the H. The first so called '47 model had a serial no. of 7H152840. Source for this is the March/April 1997 issue of TWOZ. I imagine the lincensing agencies were just as confused as manufacturer!

Guest imported_V12Bill

Dee, Thanks for the info. I had looked in the LCOC Directory where a list of VINs are kept and noticed that a VIN higher than mine and without the prefix before the H was listed as a l946. Under the l947 listing with a 7 before the H was a listing lower than mine! How much longer did it take to build a Continental than it did to build a Zephyr??? I'm sure if the state MVs were confused, it was nothing compared to FOMOCO.

confused.gifBill

You got me chief. All I can think of is that perhaps the Continentals which were started as '46s and did take longer to build weren't assigned serial numbers until they were completed or shipped? The regular Lincolns were probably coming off the assembly line at a much faster pace and were "numbered" sooner? Maybe someone can set us straight. Dee

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Skrentner

Peecher, I am brand new to this web site, just found it !!! I have a 46 Continental cabroilet Vin H140869. Can you tell me anything about it?? Read your post about the issue of TWOZ but have no idea what you are refering to.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

James Skrentner

South Branch,MI

Sorry about the confusion. The TWOZ is the name of the Lincoln Zephyr Owner's Club plublication, " The Way Of The Zephyr". Members get this very informative publication every 2 months.

Your serial no. indicates your car is indeed a '46. as the beginning serial no for '46 is H136255 and ending at H152839. There are some knowledgeable people on the forum so if you have specific questions or problems, post them and we'll see if we can help. You may want to check the thread concerning the Ford Archives about obtaining the "build" sheet for your car. Welcome Aboard! Dee