Phillips Head Screws

Hi guys,

At a show today, a guy in my class questioned the correctness of the Phillips head screws on my '37 Chevy's windshield garnish mouldings, sun visor fasteners, etc. Most of the interior fasteners on my coupe are Phillips, but he said they weren't even invented in 1937. Research tells me they were invented in the early '30's, but I still don't know if they are correct on my Chevy. Please advise.

Woody Gingrich

• 1 month later...
Guest Straightaxle

Hi, Woody:

My first reaction is that the 37 Chev. should have phillips. I found several web sites that show 1937 Cadillac as first user of phillips. I had two 1937 Chevs and both had some phillips on trim moldings, etc., but also had some slotted screws. Both cars had been tinkered with a lot, so no firm proof there. Hmmm.... I have a 1948 parts book, but it simply describes the various fasteners (in the common hardware section) without telling what the were used on. Hmmm.... Does a 1937 shop manual call out the use of phillips screwdrivers anywhere? Just a thought. I sold my shop manual when I sold the second car.

Dennis Martin, VCCA #20932