Matt Menges' Stunning Original 1959 Electra -- Photos

Centurion

As a result of a question that Matt Menges posted on this forum a couple of years ago, he and I have continued to exchange e-mails from time-to-time. Matt, who lives in Kansas, has assembled a most impressive collection of very fine original cars from the mid-1950's through the mid-1960's.

Among the cars that Matt has acquired is a stunning original 1959 Buick Electra 2-door hardtop. Matt had learned a few years back that the car was to be offered as part of a farm auction, and, as I recall, was surprised to learn what an incredible "time warp" Buick this one is. The car had about 30,000 miles on it at the time. Matt has added some miles with a trip to California and to Flint last summer, but the car remains a gorgeous, low mileage vehicle.

Matt's car was not part of the show on the grounds of the Flint Cultural Center. Following the Saturday night banquet and program during the Centennial National Meet, my wife and I were slow to return to our '59 Electra for the trip back to the hotel. As we entered the parking lot, there were three cars remaining -- all '59 Electras. Matt had waited in the parking lot for an opportunity to meet me and show me his '59. Richard Gibbs was there with the Turquoise/Arctic White '59 Electra 4-door hardtop that had been in his family since new. It was completely dark, and our attempts at night-time photography were unsuccessful. Still, it was fun to have our '59's all together, and we were surprised to learn that all three cars are original Triple Turbine (Flight Pitch) cars.

Matt has recently e-mailed me a few photos of his '59 (see below), still painted in its original "Magic Mirror" Lido Lavender / Arctic White finish. The photos speak for themselves, and you can see what a superb example this car is. Hopefully, Matt will jump in here and add a bit more history for all of us.

20359_Menges_I-med.jpg

20359_Menges_II-med.jpg

20359_Menges_III-med.jpg

20359_menges_IV-med.jpg

20359_Menges_V-med.jpg

That car is too cool! I was able to visit with Matt out in Wichita last month. He is restoring a 4-speed Wildcat, a subject near and dear to my heart! Greg Scharding and I got a ride last year with Matt in this Electra. The interior chrome could put your eye out, it was SHARP. A real pleasure to see this car.

John, I would like to provide pictures and a story to you, but need to obtain some better photos. I lack a digital camera, but that will be on the shopping list for next Christmas. A '59 friend will visit from Montana in a couple of weeks, and we'll use his digital camera to obtain some photos for you. Your site is excellent, and I'm eager to contribute to it.

Guest DELTAWINGFLYER

BRIAN THANK YOU FOR POSTING PICS OF MATT MENGES 59 ELECTRA , VERY NICE CAR , HOPE TO SEE IT IN PERSON ONE DAY ,KEEP THE PICTURES COMING ,DO YOU KNOW WHAT KIND OF TIRES HES RUNNING?

DeltaWingFlyer, here's what Matt has told me about his tires:

"I have Goodrich Silvertown Bias Plys on my 59, and have driven all over the country in it without a hint of a problem. So many people are worried about bias plys, but I have them on my 58 Olds, 61 Chrysler, 59 Buick, 58 Chrysler, 59 Merc, and others and have had zero problems with them other than the flat spots from sitting that take a few miles to smooth out.

"Also, as to reliability and safety of these tires, I have driven this car ['59 Electra] to California on a 4000 mile round trip, several trips of shorter distance, and to Flint and back with the same set of Silvertowns, and again, zero problems. Sometimes the tires will like to follow lines in the road, but it isn't a major danger that some people like to make it to be. Just some

experienced thoughts."

Matt's comments regarding the bias ply tires were helpful to me in making my own tire replacement decision.

Guest 70 Electra

Brian,

Thanks for posting the photos. This is an absolutely stunning car, and is even more impressive as a survivor. Makes me want to go out and get a 59 for my collection! WOW!

Matt has e-mailed some additional, fascinating information about this original car:

"Really there are only a few cool bits not told...the coolest is that we made a phone bid because we could not be at the farm auction, and two weeks later after my father and I heard nothing we received a call from a lady who simply said 'Well, it looks like you boys bought yourself a Buick'. The seller was so confident that we would like the car that he offered to deliver it to us, and if after inspection we were not satisfied he would refund us our money and take the car back. Needless to say, when we saw it on the trailer coming into our parking lot, it was going nowhere else. It has all the original paperwork, perfect owners manual, black vinyl BUICK 59 owners manual pouch, the keychain from the original selling dealer, all tags that were hanging from the radio and heater, the ORIGINAL 1959 title (which we still have), the farmers detailed notebook of oil changes for his last three Buicks a 53, a 56, and the 59, with the 59 being the last car entered in the book, etc. It also is still running with the original spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, condenser, hoses, etc. The only things we changed were the belts, shocks, and mufflers (I still have the originals , though.). I am sure there is more, but I probably would be repeating myself."