fluids in trans/steering/shocks

I know not to use any GL-5 fluid in the transmission/overdrive unit of my '47 Packard, but what fluid are owners using in their trans? Also, how about the steering box and front shocks?

Thanks for any help I receive.

If your front shocks are leaking, they should be rebuilt. I've used Five Points Classic Auto Shocks, 2911A South Main Street, Santa Ana, CA 92707, (714) 979-0451 since the late '70s. Jack and Matt White do fine work, reasonable charge, prompt turnaround. I first used them to rebuild the fifth rear shock (a Packard exclusive) on my '40, and the front shocks on my '47 Super Clipper. They know 'em all: Lovejoy, Houdaille, Delco, Armstrong. When we find gents like these who bother to cater to the vintage car set, we should sing their praises or everyone'll desert us and focus on the lucrative [color:\\"black\\"] muscle car/nifty-fifties crowd. Meanwhile, Five Points can sell you the correct fluid.

Keep 'em flying.

Yeah - I "second" that about FIVE POINTS. Used em on those "knee action" typeson a number of pre 50's cars that came into the shop. They are great. Expensive, but worth it.

Now, 'bout your quesion on fluids.

You cant really go wrong if you stick to legit. consumer grade lubricants. For liability reasons, they HAVE to be good, and "good" today, means so vastly superior to the crap we had when I was a kid, it aint funny.

For shocks, no problem. Any auto parts store should have hydraulic fluid. Now, given todays clerks, I would NOT tell them what you want. I'd just nose around till I found cans of either "tractor fluid" or "hydraulic jack" fluid.

For transmissions and rear ends, again, you cant go wrong today. That is, unless you start listening to the damn fool self appointed "experts". AMY modern generic 90W gear oil will probably say something like "extreme pressure gear lubricant". Last time I bought some, I bought some that is rated 80W-140. Good stuff. Oh, I suppose in a really worn out transmission, it wouldn't be thick enough on a really hot day to act like a "brake" on the gears in your tranny, so, if you are "into" fast shifts, your synchros might work as fast as they should, but otherwise, would be just fine.

C'mon, guys, am I the only old timer in here ? You mean NOBODY knows what the Vanderbilt Motor Parkway was ?

Lotta folks called it that, but it's proper name, as i recollect, was the "Long Island Motor Parkway," a combined toll road/race course built by Commodore Vanderbilt's grandson, Bill. Back in '12 or '13 [color:\\"black\\"] I ran the entire 43 miles (right through all 12 toll booths, heh-heh) one night in 45 minutes flat in my 50-hp Simplex Speed Car.