1930 Cad new current photos

CTW

In the other thread about replacing the Cad engine there was alot of questions about the condition of the car - parts that are removed from the engine etc..

I just went out to the garage & took a batch of photos

Below are links to very large images. If anyone has problems viewing or downloading LMK? & I can resize smaller. I left them big so more detail can be seen. It's probably better you right click & save if they won't open in your browser.

cad-1930-001sm.JPG

Engine view from drivers side - sorry I didn't realize the plastic was still there. I've been keeping it covered so too much dirt don't get inside.

http://www.johnquietmanruiz.com/claire/cad-1930-001.JPG

All the tires look like this. And this one is actually in better condition than the others. I patched the tube to a rear tire just so it can hold air.

http://www.johnquietmanruiz.com/claire/cad-1930-002.JPG

Running boards/battery box area on pass side view. One of the metal parts that house the battery is rusted - needs to be rebuilt.

http://www.johnquietmanruiz.com/claire/cad-1930-003.JPG

Rear seat interior

http://www.johnquietmanruiz.com/claire/cad-1930-004.JPG

Dash view

http://www.johnquietmanruiz.com/claire/cad-1930-005.JPG

Another dash view showing floor

http://www.johnquietmanruiz.com/claire/cad-1930-006.JPG

Full front view. In this shot, if you look to the rear of the car on the right you will see a bunch of coffee cans on the shelf. The cans have screws, nuts, little parts etc.. almost every can is labeled. some of the wording on the labels are worn from being so old. You can also see the gas tank reprimed - the new muffler pipe.

http://www.johnquietmanruiz.com/claire/cad-1930-007.JPG

When it's nicer out & daylight over this weekend - I can take more photos of the engine if needed (without the garbarge bag) smile.gif

have a good night all.

Claire ~ OK, you have a V-8 and not a V-16 which will simplify things. A quick look indicates the intake and exhaust manifolds are missing along with the carburetor and the valley cover. You can get along without the valley cover, but not the other items.

hvs

V8 - flathead I was told (whatever that means?)

Intake & manifolds. Are they the pipes that would cover the spaces/holes under the garbarge bag? Sorry I don't know the correct terms for everything

If so I have a few heavy parts that look like they should go in that area.

As I mentioned it was getting dark & I'll take more photos over the weekend without the garbarge bag and will also include images of loose parts.

Valley cover? would that be a flat piece of heavy metal that would go in the area under the garbarge bag?

Is there such a thing as blueprints for this engine?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Claire ~ OK, you have a V-8 and not a V-16 which will simplify things. A quick look indicates the intake and exhaust manifolds are missing along with the carburetor and the valley cover. You can get along without the valley cover, but not the other items.

hvs </div></div>

Claire, this once again an opinion. Your car is in incredible condition for it's age.If you only intend to drive and enjoy it, clean it and use it as is. if the engine can be turned over, isn't rusted or broken inside, I would put the parts back on it and try to start it. You would be investing some time to reassemble it with the possibility you don't have to rebuild. You stated it smoked but ran OK. That could indicate a lot of things which the experts will be along to tell you all about. To me if the smoke is minimal,and not detrimental, I'd leave it alone and drive it. I think you would be suprised how good it looks with a weekend of cleaning. I appreciate an original, unmolested car like this as much as the million point restoration. The hotrodders call that finish "patina". Woops, I think I hear an expert.

Claire,

You have a great start at a wonderful car!

"Flathead" refers to the (on a V8) 2 heads on either side of the engine. On most motors these contain the valve train which supplies fuel and removes exhaust from the engine, which is why these cars have "valve covers" on the heads. On a flathead these valves are located in the block and the heads are flat. Your car has decorative covers that hide the spark plugs and plug wires which resemble valve covers, but they're not the same.

The intake manifold is the large silver/grey pipe-like piece that dominates the top of the engine. It bolts to the top of the block and supplies the fuel/air mixture from the carburetor to the valves (& therefore the pistons).

I think your motor is a lot more complete than you believe it to be. It would appear that a little work would go a long way toward getting it running again. I'd suggest finding and reviewing a shop manual and/or a parts book diagram for this engine. It's likely that your dad has or had one in his collection. This should help identify what you you have and (if anything) what you're missing.

At any rate you don't have any problems that legions of guys like us wouldn't love to have! cool.gif

====================================================

For some helpful information you may also want to check out The Cadillac Database, especially their 1930 page.

30engne.jpg

Hi Claire,I my memory serves me right I think I remember sending you several emails in the past. I'm not sure if you will remember me. I live just outside of Springfield(about 70 miles away for thoes on the west coast) and have owned over a dozen 29 to 31 Caddys. I have pleanty of parts if you are missing anything, and can also give you the name and number of a member in Sharon Ma.(about 25 miles away) of a running car you can look at for photos and missing parts. In your post you said you were looking for an easy way to get your car to run.....there is no such thing as easy when working on a antique or Classic car. They require lots of time and money. There is no easy way out. If a person doesn't have the skills to assemble and run the current engine they would not be quilified to install a modern engine. By the way.... your car has a torque tube drive shaft. That means you would also have to change the transmission and rear end to do a "easy driveline update"..... that doesn't sound too easy to me. I'll be home all weekend if you would like to take a drive out to see my car. It's about 4 miles of exit 7 off the mass pike. I have a garage full of cars and other interesting toys you can kick tires on and take pictures till you have every thing you need. I also have an engine for a 30 sitting on the ground you can get a close look at, as well as a dissassembled engine. Just send me an email and i'll return it with my phone number. Good Luck, Ed M. grin.gifgrin.gifEdinmass@aol.com

ronbarn, Thanks to you Claire is on the right track and another fine old Classic will likely be saved from ignominy.

Dave ~ The valley cover is the piece between the two manifolds with the V-8 emblem embossed on it. It serves no useful purpose other than to cover the top of the intake manifold and make it difficult to get at the carburetor. Purely esthetic.

The cover on the head itself is nothing more than a spark plug cover which pretties up the engine compartment and hides the plugs and plug wires. Again, not necessary for the operation of the engine.

hvs

Hi Everyone.. Wow! I started a thread about the 1930 caddy engine & I see it's gotten alot of attention & was moved *giggle*

I was gone over the holiday weekend and just getting some time to read all the replies. I'm very busy at work but wanted to take a couple of minutes to reply.

I'm going to copy & save any technical info that has been posted and start a log so I have something to refer to.

This is just a little side note.. Someone mentioned my fathers book collection should have info about the '30 caddy. In one of my posts in the engine thread I mentioned a "friend" stole his books. I won't mention names because I'm sure this man is known in the club. Yes, my father had a huge collection of great reference for all sorts of antique auto's. Being the collection is gone - I will have to build my own library of reference for this project.

Also.. Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.

EdinMass - I'll drop you an email within the next few days.

My plans are to take photos of all the loose parts - put them in a photo gallery so I can indentify the parts & make a log of all the info you have provided. At least that's a start.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks again - Have a good night!

Clipper 47 -- I agree. A special thank you to RonBarn smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ronbarn, Thanks to you Claire is on the right track and another fine old Classic will likely be saved from ignominy. </div></div>

Claire, That engine is a lot more together than it is apart, thanks for the photos. I'd stop buy Home Depot or whatever and buy the largest drip pan or pans and a gallon jug of WD-40 and just cover everything in the engine comparetment. This will loosen up all the crud under there and protect and lube things. Hope nothing built nets in the intake and exhaust ports. Good luck, Bob