1971 full-size Buicks / 1971 full-size Mercurys

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

<A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=601248331" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=601248331</A> <P>Here is a link to a rare, plain, base model, 1971 Mercury Monterey. Notice the lack of any chrome, no air and no tilt wheel. This was the competetor to the 1971 Oldsmobile 88s/98s & Buick Lesabres & Electras. These models are rare if I recall correctly. I have not even seen a base Oldsmobile Delta 88 or base Buick LeSabre this plain before. It has a movie history to it and is in very good shape. We had posted a plain 1971 Buick Electra here a while back, w/o air or power windows, but that would be like a Marquis without air, which would be rare as well. The difference in the Mercurys, is that they are not like Buick or Oldsmobile. They only have one wheelbase for the all full-size models for 1971-1973)other years as well. In 1971 and 1972, they made a base Monterey, Monterey Custom, Marquis and Marquis Brougham. So, I guess it was like the Monterey (this car on this link) was equal to the base LeSabre and Delta 88 / Monterey Custom close competition with the LeSabre Custom and Delta 88 Royale and the Marquis competetors with the Electra and Ninety-Eight and Marquis Brougham was equal/competetion the Electra Custom and Limited and Ninety-Eight Luxury, or something similar to that, since GM had more trim lines. The reason I posted this, is that is looks like the early 70s Mercurys was oddly equipped as well. Note that this is the base plain Mercury, and looks to not even have a/c, but note it has the optional fenderskirts. I have a 1971 and 1972 Mercury sales brochure and it states that fenderskirts are optional, even on the plainest Monterey and actually pictured in the 1972 Mercury brochure, it shows a plain 72 Monterey 2dr, with fenderskirts. So it does seem as if all early 70s cars was oddly equipped, but I still think not as oddly as the 71-72 Electras. I hope I was not too confusing. rolleyes.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0<P>[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]<P>[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]<p>[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]