73 Riv ?

there was a gs in 1973. it has badges on the lower front fenders between the wheel well and the door. it had the GS handling package, could have had a posi rear and i am not sure if it had to come with the bucket seats and the console. a riv with these options could not be a gs. my 1973 riviera has the gs handling package, but is not a GS (technically).<P>john<p>[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: riv1973 ]

Not only GS, but Stage 1 also. There were two 73 so equipped at Carlisle All GM last summer. Asked one owner if he ever used it to beat up on Mustangs and the old phart looked at me like I'd lost my sense. "This is a rare show car" he sez. All well and good, but I terrorize them frequently with a 69 W34 Toronado, and that car has been a 900+ point fixture at Olds Nationals for years. Doesn't hurt to blow 'em out once in a while...

Some information from the Riv guys Bob sent this in 2000 ....dusty<P><BR>Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:50:01 -0800<P>Doug, I would like to give you and anyone else the information on the<BR>71-73 GS/ Stage I. First, in 71 & 72, there was a GS option code A9.This<BR>was an option only. Included in this package was the Stage 1 engine,HD<BR>front & rear shocks & springs,Postive traction rear axle in a 3:42<BR>ratio,chrome covered air cleaner, white wall tires and GS emblems on the<BR>front fenders. The engine code for the Stage 1 is TA.The engine code for<BR>the Stage I in 72 is WA. The vin number in 71 &72 had nothing at all to<BR>do with them being Stage I. In 73 Buick separated the Stage I engine<BR>from the GS package. Both the GS and Stage I engine were separate<BR>options. The engine code for the 73 is XA.I hope this information will<BR>help you.<BR>Bob Bonto<BR>#277

I have only personally seen one Stage 1 '73<BR>Riviera and it had a Stage 1 name plate on the left side of the grille stating that.<BR>This was in the mid 80's in central New Mexico and I don't think this old rancher that owned it really knew what he had from the way he talked. He bought it new at the dealership I worked at, I think only for the reason that it would smoke the tires without much prodding! I never paid much attention to it at the time as I was only into Buicks of the 30's to the 50's. Not much to add, but sometimes the smallest bits of information are helpful

I spotted one in the junkyard a few months ago. It had a rear swaybar and I believe it had boxed rear control arms. I considered buying them but they wanted $135 for the setup. I passed on it because I didn't have the money. A month later it was gone. Probably completely stripped or sold because it was a classic car junkyard.

The 1971 Buick Chassis Service Manual and 1971 Facts Book indicate that the engine of the Riviera GS is distinct from the Stage 1 engine and carries a different code number prefix. While the code prefixes may be different for 1972 and 1973, my understanding is that the Stage 1 engine was not part of the Riviera GS package and was not available on the Riviera series until 1973. The 1971 engine codes are as follows:<P>TR (Centurion, Estate Wagon, Electra 225, Riviera and optional on LeSabre and GS)<P>TA (Riviera GS and optional on Centurion)<P>TS (Stage 1, optional on GS)<P>Gross horsepower ratings are 315, 330, and 345 respectively.<P>The 1971 Facts Book describes the Riviera GS Option A9 to include:<P>Firm ride and handling, performance axle, positive traction differential, whitewall tires, chrome air cleaner, modified 4-bbl. high compression engine and specific ornamentation.<P>Interestingly, the 1973 Buick sales brochure lists only the Stage 1 as an optional engine on the Riviera that year, so it would appear that the Riviera GS option did not include an engine upgrade.<P>Regarding the performance of the 1973 Rivieras with Stage 1, "Musclecar Review" conducted a quarter-mile shootout of full-size muscle cars within the last year. The '73 Riviera, having the most smog equipment and a heavy weight, scored a better quarter mile time than did the '66 427 Galaxie, '69 Mercury Marauder 429, and '65 Chrysler Hi-Po 413. Of the cars tested, only a pre-smog '65 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 that weighed 800 pounds less than the Riviera managed a slightly quicker time. The magazine commented (again) on the awesome torque of the Buick Stage 1 engine.<P>If you look in the BCA Members Gallery on the BCA home page, I think that you will also see a photo of a '73 Riviera screaming down the drag strip.<BR>If anyone has access to the specific codes for 1972 and 1973, that would be helpful.

This is a very frequent topic, both here and on the Riviera list. Here's my two cents worth. The GS Rivs from 67-70 had a firmer suspension, 3.42 positraction differential, and a chrome air cleaner lid. That's it. No bucket seats, no special motor. In 71 and 72 GS Rivs came with the same equipment as above, and a larger valve 455. This wasn't the same motor as a Stage 1. The vin will show a unique letter for the engine, W for 72. Also the underhood timing decal will have the different engine code. In 73 and 74, the GS option included a handling package that included the new radial tires and a new rear sway bar. The higher output engine was a Stage 1 option. The engine option included positraction. Stage 1 and GS were separate options in 73-74. 73 GS Rivs are common because thats how you got the new radial tires on your Riv that year. Bucket seats were a separate option in every year. Any Riv, GS or not, Stage 1 or not could have them. I think we need a web page that goes into detail. Any volunteers? <P>Also, the Centurions could be ordered with the bigger valve Riv GS 455. And in 74, All the big Buicks could be ordered with the Stage 1 engine. The 74 sales brochure doesn't mention any special id for them though.

The main difference between the A body stage 1 and the Riv stage 1 was the cam .The Riv cam was ground to give more bottom end torque,as the car was MUCH heavier than the A body GS .The original cams were recognized by the lines behind the front bearing. One had one line and the other had two. I don't remember which was which tho. frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0