72 Rubber Bumper strip problem.

surfkurf

The black rubber protectors on the bumper of my 72 are falling off due to rust on the bracket. What is the best way to fix this? Is the metal support brakets sold today? Should I peal back the rubber, treat the rust with POR-15 and glue them back on somehow?<P>Any solutions that will cost me less than $1000, that will look good would be greatly appreciated.

surfkurf's 72 Skylark Convertible, If you are talking about the front bumper, I believe CARS in NJ makes repros around $200. If you are talking about the rear bumper, I know Year1 used to have them some time ago but I dont recall seeing them in their latest catalog.<BR>Good luck<BR>bill g

forget cars inc. there is a guy that manufatures themand i got mine for $180.00. they are great , but a little different from the originals. <P>if it is not a show car, than it is a good investment. those rusting out strips are really eyesores.<P>john<P>p.s. i cna give you the guys name that i bought it from. but i think that the guy hangs on the buick GSCA web site.

Dont know of anyone that makes the metal backing. If the rubber is really good then try what you suggested in your first post or carefully remove the backing and somehow adhere the rubber to the bumper.<BR>Good luck in whatever you do, and if it works, well it will save you some bucks.<BR>bill g

i would not adhere the rubber to the bumper. then if you dent the bumper, the rubber is lost.<P>see if you can try to make a metal strip of your own and adhere the rubber to that. but for all of your time, it may be better tyo buy the repo rubber and put your original rubber away unitl you find out how to repair it.<P>john wink.gif" border="0