Helper Springs

Has anyone ever tried using shock mounted helper springs on their car. When I hit a bump my 71 Riviera scrapes the driveshaft on the floorboards whenever I put more than 300 pounds of people in the back seat. <BR> The springs are original as far as I know, and I don't want new ones because then it will sit about an inch higher. I like the stance the way it is. I am thinking of buying helper springs from JC Whitney (only $22) and giving them a try. <P> If you want to see its current ride height refer to my website... <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/tomsriv2001/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/tomsriv2001/</A>

I tried these about 20 years ago on my 71 LaSabre and really didn't like them. I just put new MOOG spings in for about $100, but it did raise the car. <P>I think I saw springs in YearOne.com and they gave 3 choices. Standard, High or Lowrider. You may want to consider this. Just a thought.

Tom, what kind of shocks do you have in the rear currently and how long have they been there? I had a similar problem a while back if you recall where my tail pipe was being bashed on dips. Then I put the air shocks in the back and that cured it, plus improved the stance in my case. The old rear shocks, if I recall, still both had pressure in them, but were definately worn (they were 11 years/40K miles old according to records).The police/taxi shocks I put up front also have helped a lot. I now go over the speed bumps on campus with ease. <P>Zach<P>[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: 73Electra 225 ]<p>[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: 73Electra 225 ]

I have Monroe Sensatrac shocks and they are about 4 years/35,000 miles old. <BR> I thought about air shocks, but then I would have to fill them up whenever I put friends in the car and deflate them afterwards. The stinkbug stance really doesn't work on full-size cars. <P>Maybe I'll check out Yearone and some aftermarket spring companies, but I figure for $22 the helpers are worth a try.