original battery hold-down help/ideas

our51super

We're in the process of detailing the engine compartment of our "baby". I was thinking of buying an original-style battery from Antique Auto Battery to complete the ensemble, but the price is giving me second thoughts. I managed to find a battery of the same dimensions as the original, (14x4x9 inches - got that from the Antique Auto Battery guys), but I don't have the original hold down for those dimensions. Until now we've been running on a 6V battery that is more of a cube and is held in place by a fabricated hold down that the previous owner must have made. <P>I was wondering if anyone else was in this position and can give me some advice. I can on one hand keep the battery I have (the cube looking one) and place some kind of support under it so that it doesn't sit on the vertical rails of the original battery tray. Then use a modern hold down to keep it in place. OR, I can buy the original sized battery which will fit nicely on the tray but then I'm not sure what to do about a hold down. I know it's kind of trivial but I guess I'm looking for ideas for a hold-down because I really like the way those long and thin batteries look.<P>Thanks for your input.<P>P.S. "Using an old belt to tie it down doesn't count." <BR> smile.gif" border="0

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Crin,<P>Try to find an original battery holder. They are out there. I would try Buick World, Cars, Wheatbelt, etc. to try to find one.<P>I would put a note in the for sale/wanter section right here.<P>As long as you are restoring the engine compartment back to original, it wouldn't be right to use the improper battery.<P>If I remember correctly, on my '51, the battery holder had a top and 3 sides. It was constructed such that the long side that faced the engine, was enclosed. Most likely as a heat shield. The downside of that, is that after you spend the extra money for the proper battery, it gets all covered up. But you know it is in there, and you can tell from the caps.<P>I may have a generic one. That is just a top. It could help until you find the real one.<P>I'll check my parts for you and advise.<P>Scott

I just did a quick search on Cars website and it came up with a hold down kit: 2 bolts, grommets, wingnuts, and washers I think, for about $14. I don't know if that is all you need or not, but they might have more that didn't show up, so I would give them a call.

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

That's all the hardware needed to hold the battery cover in place.<P>You may or may not need that, depending if the cover you find has the hardware.<P>Scott