Sign in to follow this  
CBoz

Source for 90W Mineral Oil

A few weeks back, we were discussing the disadvantages of current heavy weight gear oils with sulphur additives. Turns out there is a guy who has some 90W mineral oil to sell by the gallon:

John Koutre, 2331

Rainbow Drive

Plover, WI 54467

715-341-6188

More info and his email is available here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...RK%3AMEBWA%3AIT

I don't know how much more he has to sell, but I'm buying a couple gallons at $19.96 (shipping is additional, but doesn't have any hidden "packaging" charges). You might give him a call or email if interested. Who knows, he might even be able to line up more if there is enough demand.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I just talked with Dan Krehbiel and asked him about lubricants for Columbias. Dan says that the lubricants available today are far superior to that which was available in the '30s and '40s and he uses the newer multi-viscosity 85/140 gear oil in his own cars. Since it gets pretty hot here in Texas, I'm planning to use straight 140w in my "new" Columbia, just like I used forty years ago. I never had a failure from lack of lubrication in thousands of miles in my '39 and '47 Fords. However, I did manage to crack a few spider carriers by dumping the clutch behind my Chevy 283 engine! The car still ran just fine, but no more overdrive. I'm older and (hopefully) wiser now and I expect this Columbia to outlast me!

Hi, we carry 90 W mineral oil. It's only for transmissions. It can not be used in a rear axle. The price is $9.95/quart. It might go up slightly do to oil prices but we do have it in stock.

-George Trickett

Hello George -

Is your comment about not putting mineral oil into rearends also true for non-hypoids with the Columbia? I just got a '37 parts car with the factory Columbia and I want to put the right stuff in it. If not the mineral oil, what would you suggest?

In searching for 90 to 90 W 140 weight mineral oil, try your New Holland farm supply dealer. It goes under the label of TDH, "Transmission, Differential, Hydraulic oil. Used in the 9-8N Ford tractors, and others as well. Search this out and see if it meets your specs. In Canada its sold also at the Canadian Tire stores, happy motoring.

I have bought trans lubricant (non hypoid) from Penrite http://www.penrite.com.au/ that has a dist in Texas. Don't know if they have any specific info on columbia rear ends but they do list non hypoid gear lubricants.