heater core

2 options:<BR>Just went thru this last weekend on my 65.<P>From inside: remove front seat and start under glove box. If you dont' have A/C then this is probably easy. If you do then you have to remove the condenser before you get to the Heater core.<P>From the outside:<BR>If you dont have A/C then this should be easy also. But it involves cutting some metal. basicly remove the distributor, plug the hole, remove the bolts from the heater cover. and cut the metal out until you get to the edge of the cover (about 1/2 inch). then yank the old one out (its held by some clips that I just cutoff). and put the new one in and reseal the cover well.<P>not easy either way. I went with the outside since I didnt want to lose my R12.

Yes, I did . but it makes it harder since the POA valve is in the way. How did you expect to remove the metal on the firewall? Are you a member of ROA as they have a diagram of the process? <P>AS strange as this sounds, I used a come-along to pull my old one out cause it hung up on the firewall. I couldnt open up the openning with the core in there because I used a reciprical saw to cut the metal and the end of the blade can't touch anything.<P>I drove a screwdriver into the core and pulled on the come-along while prying with the a large screwdriver. Once it was out then I used the saw to cut away all the metal from the openning and the new one went it easily. since I cut the metal that contained the hose opennings I used the gasket to secure them to the opennings in the Cover. (You will see what I mean when you get into it). It doesnt rattle or anything so far. <P>I used black trim adhesive to seal the cover. withe cover back on you cant tell I was ever there or cut any metal.

If you go from the inside - just drop the evaporator - dont disconnect. Take your time and either way will work. Dont know about the come along. You need to cut about 1/4 inch from the top and right side.The good part about going from inside is it gives you a chance to clean and repair other problems along the way. The good part about the outside is - the next time it will be a piece of cake. Any questions to Dick at rivsrus1@cox.net

I had to use a comealong to get the old one out because I couldn't cut any metal with it in there . my reciprical saw blade would bend when it hit the old core. so I used the come along to give me some leverage. I just put pressure on it then jiggled,banged,pried, cussed and voila it came out. <P><BR>The inside way is probably easier if you don't have to remove the A/C evaporator (if you can just move it out of the way)