Changing Engine/Xmsn Mounts?

tjenkins

Thanks Greg.

Ok:

1) Where exactly are they located, and how to 'find' them.

2) How to tell if any, or all, are deteriorated, or, non-functional.

3) How to replace

4) Where is the best source (cheapest) for quality parts.

--Tom

1) under the engine and transmission (varies by year - you DO have a service manual...) If all else fails, look for some big bolts going up.

2) Late model mounts will generally have a bar going through a square opening (to retain things if the mount breaks. I have lived through a SBC breaking a mount & rearing up which bound the throttle linkage at WOT. Found the key Real Quick. Just about everything that is not FBW uses a cable today.

If the bar is resting on one of the edges of the opening or is missing the opening entirely, you need a new mount.

3) Loosen the bolts, jack up the powertain (may need to remove the dogbone) until weight comes off, remove bolts. R&R mount.

Now I have made this sound simple but you are dealing with weights of hundreds of pounds. I generally use a lot of jackstands and 2x4s in the process & still have all of my digits.

4) For Reatta, I do not know, have not needed any. Have bought at any of the major chains for other cars. ANCHOR seems OK.

Guest Greg Ross

Tom,

Ditto on Padgetts post. The right front, at least on the 88-89 is liquid filled and GM lists for about $350. as I recall. Do not know if After-market produces that one. I recall some time ago one of our participants here referred to a company that was producing motor mounts, Body Bushings etc.

When I was doing all the engine work on mine I was getting less 35% from the Dealer I was dealing with. I bought as much new as was available for what I needed at the time.

If you are hearing or and feeling crunching, grinding vibrations through the body of the car then it is most likely failed mounts or bushings.

The front right motor mount is no longer Available from GM.. you can look on ebay under REATTA and you can find the mount for 74.50 I believe!!