1956 Dynaflow rebuilding

Budd

Hello collective wisdom of the Group...

Can anyone recommend a good shop (or shops) that will do a quality rebuild on a 1956 Dynaflow transmission? I live in Northern California, but would be willing to ship it to the right shop.

I've seen others comment that it is one of the simpler transmissions to rebuild yourself, however, I'm more inclined to have professional do the job.

The tranny in my '56 Super was slipping and making some horrendous clunking noises when shifting into reverse prior to it being lost & parked for 15 years, so I'm fairly certain she's going to need a little attention in that area. I'm planning ahead for the Summer teardown of 2004. Finally!

Thanks folks!

Cheers,

Budd

Guest imported_NikeAjax

ROBERT, WAIT!!!!!!!!! Before you do this, take a little bit of time to check things out: look at your motor mounts, if they are broken you'll get what you've just discribed. You have 3.5 so to speak, two up front and the thrust-pad in the back is in two pieces. I've seen thrust pads on eBay so you shouldn't have a problem getting a gooid working one. Also look at the carburetor, if the RPM's are too high, it can do the same thing; people will often boost the RPM's to make the car idle better or smoother. Pull the pan on the tranny and make sure that the uptake tube filter is clean, a clogged one can starve your tanny and not let it shift the way it should. There are two plugs in the torque converter, get all the ATF out and try some sealer when you put in new fluid. I would be very surprised if you didn't find one or more of these as being your problem. If you're not sure about your carb, try a vacuum guage.

Good luck,

Jaybird

I got a chuckle out of the "WAIT!!!" part... heehee

I'll have a good opportunity to check out the mounts when the car gets disassembled. What you describe in the other thread looks do-able enough. I was still hoping to find a good rebuild shop in the event I have to go down that road, or in case others need to know where to go as well. I've been compiling a current list of "who-does-what" for my '56, and I hadn't found a good transmission shop that works on Dynaflows yet.

I had just assumed (bad word) that I would need work on mine, but perhaps I won't after all ? Thanks again for the tips!

Cheers,

Budd