Vacum problem

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

I was working on my 58 the other day and after lubing the wiper motor the wipers worked great while at an idle. I then took the car onto the road and when I got up to around 60 tried the wipers again and they barely worked. My tailpipe completely shot from the muffler back and because of this the exhaust is loose at the manifolds. I have an appointment with a very good muffler shop and am going to get this fixed. Could this be the problem with the wipers. I have read that they had a vacum pump in the bottom of the oil pump or the distributor on these cars but the only line to my wiper motor comes directly from the intake manifold. If nothing else I have thought about hiding a 12 volt vacum pump on the car that would be operated by a hidden switch. Does anyone know where I could get such a pump Thanks smile.gif" border="0

sintad58<BR>i found out that there is a vacume assist pump on the oil pump. the line for this comes out of the back of the engine on the left hand side as you are in front of the engine or passenger side if you wish. this line goes up to the wiper motor. try hooking the line back up and the other line goes to the manifold intake.<BR>if the vacume assit pump is bad you will probably smoke a bit. if the diafram is bad this allows oil to leak into your wiper motor and into the intake.<BR>mine is bad also, but finding a rebuilt oil/vacume pump is a challange. if i cannot locate one i am going to switch to a elctric wiper motor from a 58 chey. they will bolt right up.<BR>i don't beleive that your exhaust leak will cause a problem, but you might want to contact one of the technical advisors for 58 buick to make sure.<BR>ed<BR>58 century<BR>mod 66R

I, too, have vacuum wiper motor problems on my '58. The previous post is correct about the vacuum diaphram near the oil pump. I'm also thinking of going with an electric wiper motor, but how does that relate with the slide switch on the edge of the dash?<P>Be sure that your hoses are hooked up to the proper ports on the wiper motor. Bill Schoening (Technical Advisor) told me that they hook up directly opposite from what you think. When standing at the front of the car, the line from the manifold (which comes in from the right) hooks up to the left port on the wiper motor. The line from the oil pump diaphram (which comes in from the left side of the bottom of the engine) hooks up to the right port on the wiper motor!<P>Pete Phillips, BCA #7338<BR>Ector, Texas<BR>1958 46-R three-speed

Guest sintid58

The port on the left side on my car (standing in front of the car facing rear) is plugged with a bolt and the other side is hooked to the intake manifold. I thought the plugged line was for the windshield washer. Where is the windshield washer bottle and mechanism on this car. Also back to my original question does anyone know who might make a 12 volt vacum pump that i could hide. This would be much easier and look more original than converting to electric wipers. I drive my car to tours but want to take it to the BCA 2003 show and show it.

the old guy is right about how the vacuum lines are hooked up and the buick sentenial at the sloan is not going to be a judged event. even at a judged event they will probably not notice cause a friend of ours won the seniors award with his 57 roadmaster awhile back with electric wipers.<BR>as for the cable hookup, the 58 chev electric wipers have the switch mounted right where our vacuum switch is (not on a switch on the dash) cause they are cable operated on-off also, so as luck would have it, our existing cable hooks right up and is operated by our lever switch. just hook up the black to ground and i beleive it is a green wire to the switch and away we go. WIPERS AGAIN, how sweet it is.<BR>as far as electric vacuum unit, i don't know if they make one and even where you would get one.<BR>good luck!<BR>camman.8<BR>58 century 66R<BR>60 studebaker wagon

sintad<BR>i would like to add that the washer jar (if you have it is on the right rear corner of the firewall. there should be about a 1/4" line from the wiper motor to the 1/4"line on the top of the jar. (washer pump)this runs the pump. two smaller lines 1/8" i beleive run to the washer nozzels for the windsheild. another small line goes through the firewall,dash and door to your wiper switch cable mechinesm. i am not looking at my car at the moment so i am working off what memory i have, so if i am wrong anyone feel to jump in and correct me, maybe we can help sintad out here.