1939 Zephyr Convertible Top Bolts

Does anybody out there know of a source for these specialized convertible top bolts? (attachment) A larger image is at: (click on "view full size")

http://community.webshots.com/photo/103567038/140972077rivcek

Yeah, I know they're 1938 part numbers. My car is an early 1939 (before the optional vacuum operated top) and uses the late 1938 top assembly.

Thanks,

Guest imported_V12Bill

Phil, I Just finished a 48 convertible and had the sasme problem. I looked all over fdor shoulder bolts and they were not asvailable in the sizes I needed, plus they needed to be chrome plated. I solved the problem by turning down stainless steel bolts and putting a thread on the end. On the hex head there is always some kind of lettering to tell the hardness of the bolt which you don't want. File them off,sand the file marks out with 220 grit sand paper , and buff up the head with the proper compound on a rag wheel. They will shine just like chrome.

This also works if you need chrome plated rivots in the top irons.I rough rounded the hex head of the bolt and turned it down to proper size and shape. Cut to proper length and peen the end over using a center punch.

If you need nuts and bolts, just file and sand the lettering off the end and buff to a nice shine.

Bill

Thanks for the advice, Bill. Unfortunately, I don't have a lathe or the correct buffing wheel for stainless steel. My top is finally correctly assembled with ugly, non-shouldered Home Depot bolts. NOT show quality, but it WORKS! smile.gif

Some time ago there was a post on this forum that gave a source for convertible top fasteners. The source also could supply other fasteners as well. I've mounted a search for that post but I can't find it. Does anybody remember that source? confused.gif

try restoration supply in reno Nv. sorry I dont have the address or # I just gave my catulog to a friend. they have allot of hard to find clips and bolts and are allot cheaper than most places. Our Ace hardware store caters to old car nuts and has a good selection of shoulder bolts but most are different thread than what came on the Lincoln.

Guest imported_V12Bill

Phil, I have always wanted a metal lathe, and a couple of years ago purchased one at Carlisle. My metal polishing equipment is comprised of an old refrigerator motor with a mandrel bolted on to the shaft and a rag wheel and several bars of assorted polishing rouges. You need to polish other stainless for your car any way so bite that bullet. The lathe cost $200. used and I have found a few other uses for it. When I am through with it I will sell it for what I paid for it.Or so I hope. tongue.gif

Bill

Guest imported_V12Bill

PS, If you do find the correct shoulder bolts, rivots and bolts and nuts they are going to have to be chrome plated any way and that will cost as much as a used lathe.

shocked.gifBill