1959 Buick sells for $92,400 at Amelia Island Auction

Centurion

The June, 2004 issue of "Car Collector" magazine features a few of the cars sold at the March 13 RM Auctions event at Amelia Island. One of the cars was a 1959 Buick Electra 225 convertible, and the magazine has the following to say about its sale:

"Black/Red leather, Black vinyl top; Estimate $90,000 - $110,000; Concours restoration, 1 condition; Hammered Sold at $84,000 plus commission of 10%; Final Price $92,400 -- Loaded, including Autronic Eye. A fresh, crisp, show quality restoration to beyond-perfect condition and impressive in every aspect. Never shown. Every onlooker was blown away by this Buick's presentation and drawn to its opulence and size. Given the car in sound condition for free, the buyer couldn't replicate this presentation for the price paid. Price guides might say this car is worth $45-50,000, but the people who write them haven't seen this one. And even if, in a few years, it mellows into a $50,000 Electra 225, the pride of ownership in the intervening years is nearly without price."

Wow! That's a '59 Buick I would love to see . . . and have in my garage.

Three other Buicks were auctioned, and I'll create a separate post regarding the 1938 Roadmaster. The other two -- a 1940 Super convertible and a 1964 Riviera -- also sold at the healthy sums of $58,850 and $30,800 respectively. Given the prices, the Buicks on hand must all have been quite impressive.

Wildcat65 has provided an interior shot of this Electra, along with the attached photo above.

The autronic eye unit cannot be seen in this photo, but you can see that the car also has factory A/C and power vent windows. Bucket seats were available, but this car does not have them.

1455DSC00043-med.JPG

Guest Tom

My Bugle came today and my jaw dropped when I saw the price on this car. I showed it to my wife and told her to look at the price. Her response was "is that a lot". I realize this is an over-restored beauty, but maybe the 59 Buick is finally starting to get the recognition it deserves.