One more disillusioned car seller out there ;)

CBoz

Thought you all might appreciate this --

I had talked with the owner of the '37 sedan that didn't sell (see Ace's thread below), and he told me 1) the car ran, 2) it had been in the family for 40 years (outside all the time, it looks like), 3) the heater worked fine, and 4)the car had minimal rust (just like all other Michigan cars, right? wink.gif). I told him I might call him if it didn't sell, to which he replied that his sister-in-law had set the reserve too low anyway, and that he had a figure in mind higher than the reserve and "would let it rot rather than sell it for less."

Soooo... with the auction over, and his illusions of $$$ hopefully diminished somewhat, I called to see if he might be willing to sell just the air cleaner and replace it with something else. Worth a phone call at least, and to tell you the truth, I suspected he would say no and wouldn't have blamed him.

Well, you'd have thought I asked him to slaughter his first born blush.gif. He said a four-letter expletive and hung up on me (LOL). Of course, I can tell he's a real car lover by the way he's taken care of this baby -- and it looks like he'll be mowing around this one for a little longer. wink.gif

To be clear, I don't mind him turning me down flat; but we could both live without the abuse -- I sincerely doubt he'd have tried it on me face-to-face!

Typical really. Folks don't understand what a car is worth, they just go with what some ignorrant friend tells them. Twenty years ago I tried to buy a Zephyr pedal car out of someone's front yard. It was just setting out rotting. I was told they were going to fix it up. It set there for fifteen years, until it rusted away, then was tossed. About the same time I tried to buy a complete 36 Ford touring sedan from behind a barn. I was told it was about to be pulled into the barn for a complete restoration. The car is still there, but it is sunk in the Texas dirt to mid-door, rusted through everywhere, with few parts that could even be used.

On a good note. I drove a bride and groom (my wife drafted me) away from the church to the reception yesterday in my 37. Don't forget, mine is just a good old driver. Everyone went crazy over the car. The photographers hired to shoot the wedding even asked to photograph it by itself. The LZ was the star. Oh, and the Columbia is incredible. We had to fabricate a couple of parts, but the guy who rebuilt my engine had no problem doing just that, everything works like a dream and cruised down the highway at 65-70 as easy as you please. Never had so much fun driving a car, and that includes my 99 Cobra Convertible. Cecil, just wait until you get your ultra-cool coupe on the road.

Ace

"The LZ was the star."

Ace -- don't you know you're never, ever supposed to show-up the bride on her wedding day??? shocked.gif. I wouldn't be surprised if you're never invited to another wedding again grin.gif

I figure I'll let my son drive off in the Zephyr when he gets married. Or the Mustang. It'll be his choice, but since he's only 8, he has some time to decide.