1922 Cadillac : How to remove a wheel ?

ThomasBorchers

Hello !

At our 1922 Cadillac Town Car I have to remove one rear wheel. But I am asking me how... I removed the small hub cap, and a ring at the hub. Then I could pull out something but I am not sure what it is. Looks like the axle or so. Behind this the is a large nut. Does this nut hold the wheel ?

How can I remove the wheel correctly ?

Thanks for your help

Tom

• 3 months later...

Hi Tom! I have a restored 1920 Cadillac. To Remove the wheel: Remove the hubcap. Use the box end wrench that came with the car. Otherwise you will need a large wrench to fit on the "nut face" of the hubcap. Protect the hub cap from damage with a cloth. You will see the casillated end of the axle which fit into the same on the hub. Look for the locking wire/ring running around the exterior of the hub& axle and remove. Use a large nail or small screw river to lift one end at the break and work it onto the face of the hub and slide it off of the hub. Make sure the car is supported. Pull out the axle. Remove the lock nut, washer and adjusting nut. Pull off the wheel ( it is heavy ) and be careful not to let the outer bearing drop. Forgot! If there is a lubricator on the side of the hub cap do remove before cap. You should join the Cadillac Lasalle Club . Good Luck! Ed LaBelle smile.gif