65 special, what engine will fit?

I asked this awhile back what would fit in my 65 special convertible, it's got a 300 with a 4bb carb, and an auto. I was asking if a 340, or something bigger might fit, then mentioned gas milage, and answered my own question. <BR> The heck with milage! I want power, I want something fast, I want to have fun, fun, fun, till the government takes the hotrods away! I want to tell the grandkids some day, about the firebreathing, smoke belching, motorhead cars of yesteryear!<BR> Are preformance parts for a 300 expensive? Or do I just go for shear cubic inches? Awaiting your answers Thanks,Greg

Guest John Chapman

Greg,<P>First, there aren't many performance items made for the 300. With the 300-4, you've got most of them already anyway.<P>The 340 will bolt in, but that isn't much more than you've got already.<P>Old hot rodder's creed: Cheapest way to power is cubes. Based on your desire, I'd say get a 455 with a later model automatic like a 200R4. There's plenty of room and Postons and TA both have motor mounts for the swap. Depending on transmission, you may have to modify the driveshaft.<P>A lot of power is good.<BR>More power is better.<BR>Too much power is just about right.<P>JMC

Go with the 455, as John has recommended.<P>There is a community of Buick performance enthusiasts who either have, or plan to have (or dream of having) 455 powered Specials/Skylarks/GS's. So, you will have plenty of advice and some specialized parts suppliers for that swap.<P>I'm happy with my 340, but if you're definitly doing a swap for performance, then go all the way with the big block.

I have transplanted a 455 in my Special Wagon. Swap is fairly easy for engine. My problems were with plumbing. Best thing I did was switching from headers to cast iron manifolds (ported by G. Gessler). That made the engine fit easily. The rest of the task is plumbing-radiator hoses, power steering hoses, fuel lines had to be changed. Now the car just spins the tires at will with the stock open 3.23:1 gears. It is great fun. Good luck!

Greg might I also remind you that the 65 was also available with the nailhead 401 as a GranSport. This combination should be easier to install, but would have to agree that the 455 has more speed parts available today.<BR> Both motors will "Lite your tires" shocked.gif" border="0 Enjoy, Doug 65 Skylark GranSport (tire fryer) rolleyes.gif" border="0<p>[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: DugsSin ]

Guest John Chapman

Greg,<P>The problems with a 401 install in a non-GS Special/Skylark are:<P>--Requires A body only exhaust manifolds<BR>--Requires Nailhead only bellhousing pattern transmission vice the BOP pattern currently installed and on the 300-340-350-400-425-430-455.<BR>--Requires as much replumbing/rewiring as the 455 swap.<BR>--Requires 401 engine mounts<BR>--Premium prices for all 401-related perfomance/swap parts... if you can find them<P>IMHO, the most bang for the buck is the 455 swap. But I'd sure hate to have to feed all those cubes with CA-priced premium fuel.<P><BR>JMC

GC,<BR> You can probably find a complete 455 in a junkyard with all the pullys and brackets still there. If you are worried about gas prices then you can build an 8.5:1 compression 455. You can get 350 horsepower out of a low compression motor with simple modifications, and it will run on cheap gas!