'55 Buick tilt steering?

brad54

I just read a post where someone mentioned the possibility that tilt steering columns were available on '55 Buicks. Can anyone shed more light on this?<BR>If yes, was it available on manual-shift cars? Was it easily changed, or did you have to have a mechanic set it one time and leave it?<BR>Thanks,<BR>-Brad

Guest Shaffer

I may be wrong, but I am 99.999% sure I read it in my grandfathers 1955 Buick owners manual. Can't get to it again, since the glove box door is stuck closed. mad.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0<BR>Also, as mentioned I think it said the car has to be taken to the dealer to get them to adjust it. Maybe not a easy task.<p>[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Both Shaffer and The Old Guy are correct...it can be adjusted but tools are required! The sevice manual gives the details...loosen bolts at the dash and where the steering box attaches to the frame then retighten when satisfied..you get only about 2" at the steering wheel but is enough to help short or tall people...takes ablut 30 minutes or less.<BR>Willie

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Brad 54<BR>Both "The Old Guy" and "Old Tank" are right.<P>I read it somewhere in some of my 1955 Buick literature, maybe the Dealer Facts Book.<P>It is the collar that hold the steering column to to dash where the adjustment is made.<P>Unlike the tilts of thday, this was a "one time" adjustment performed by the dealer. Most likely to accommodate shorter people.<P>Scott Mich Bca # 6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C Roadmaster Convertible<BR>1959 Olds SS-88 Holiday Sport Sedan

Bummer. Here I was all excited for a minute. Thanks everyone!<BR>Well, I figure a tilt column out of an earlier van, my manual shift column, a part or two from Flaming River, and some work at at a machine shop will get me a tilt, manual shift column. Lots of work, though!<BR>-Brad