Fuel consumption !

owner53

My Cadillac Convertible 1953 has an extremely high fuel consumption; 8,0 miles per gallon !!!

I have checked compression, vacuum, carburetor and levels of the

floats, ignition and the fuel pump. All of it seems ok, and the car is

running perfectly. The spark plugs are also checked with right

colour.

The only trouble is the high fuel consumption !!! Where does the

fuel go !!!

The cylinder heads are renovated.The pistons and skirts are also changed.

Does somebody have an idea of where to find the failure ???

No hole in the gas tank......

Best Regards,

Peter

• 4 months later...

Your post is quite intriguing. You give a lot of mechanical specifications, of things that are in correct working order, so the fuel consumption should not be excessive. Certainly 8 miles per gallon is a little harsh, considering the price per gallon nowadays. I've owned a 1953 6219 for several years, and have never had the courage to check the mileage. I know it can't be wonderful, but then again, I also know it isn't bad. Wild guess? around 15 MPG.

If the car is functioning properly, with no fuel leaks, there are other extenuating circumstances: and this can be funneled into the category of usage. When my '53 gets run (which isn't often enough <grin>) it goes out for a good run. A short warm-up period enables the motor to function well, and after that, it is gingerly put on the road. I try to avoid rides only around the block, or just up to the gas station. If there is a show to go to, the show is normally a decent distance. The worst miles a car can go (and the worst miles for fuel consumption) is while the car is warming up.

If your car is well detailed and, upon occasion, trailered to shows, that would explain the fuel usage right there. Another idea is city vs highway mileage. I have a 1953 Buick with a dynaflow transmission. If that car gets 8 MPG around the city, it is doing well. However, 15 MPG on the highway is also fair.

Wish you luck with your beautiful car, and hope you get all the glitches worked out on it.

Regards,

Bernie