prepurchase advice

i have beeen eyeing a 1973 225 for a little over a year now and feel it's time to make my final offer. i have drove it once about 6 months ago and it rides as smooth as i could hope for idles soo quiet you would never guess it has a 455 under the hood but the problem i'm having it parts. like weatherstriping window felt and so on. also a few other small details like a passanger side rear view mirror, was that even an option for that year and if not what car might interchange with the same basic mirror design as the drivers side... i think the dar is a fair deal at 2,500 bucks but i would hate to take on resposabillity of this classic with out further guidance. nay pointers on where to look would be much appreciated.<BR>Don <BR>Nashville, TN<BR>1973 Electra 225 4 door ht 63,000 miles

That wouldn't happen to be the silver 73 w/ red interior up in Robertson county would it? I've had my eye on that one for over a year now too. The reason I ask is this one was $2500 too, but I thought it was too much, given its condition.

I have a 73, had a 73, have a 68 Wildcat and a 60 Invicta. Getting parts has not been a problem (although I will say it was tough getting a tail light lense for my 68). Don't let that deter you. There were plenty of 73's around.

I have a 72 Electra that had a dented passenger door on it when I bought it. I didn't want to put any filler in the car so I searched some old salvage yards in my travels and finally found one in a yard about 4 hrs. from my home when I was on a business trip (hard to get a lot of work done when you stop at almost every salvage yard you pass by!). The big southern yards in the southeast had several at about $400.00 for just the metal (no window or motor) plus high shipping cost. I paid $50.00 for the whole door, working power window motor, interior door panel, glass and all switches. The guy at the yard even removed it and carried it to my van! It had a mirror on it and my car didn't originally have one. I actually couldn't decide wether to remove the mirror and fill the mounting holes or install it with the mirror (I was hesitant to change the original option package) I think the passenger side mirror was an option on 72 Electras. The donor car was a "Limited" and may have been part of the option package I don't know. I did end up using the mirror, as I like the convenience and safety of having it there. I guess my point is that the parts are there if you are willing to spend some time and money acquiring them (spending more time equals spending less money in my case). Don't let the parts scare you away if you really want the car.

well jon you seem to have the same eye i have for "back lot classics". that has to be the only silver... more tan i would say with red interior f/s in robertson Co. are you from the area?<P>thanbks for all the other info guys,<BR>Don

one more thing jon. i noticed you bought or are about to buy a 73, i was wondering what you gave for yours. i'm not a big GM fan mostly i like 60's 4dr continentals but the price on parts for old lincolns is worse than parts for my bimmer. so i've looked around somewhat at parts and they don't look all that bad but for the few parts i do need the years seem to skip right around the car i'm looking at. i'm guessing your from around nashvile so i was wondering if you know of any local junk yards with parts for out cars??<P>don

The car I'm talking about is the one at Greenbrier Auto Sales, just up from the light there in Greenbrier. It's been there since July of 2000. I've stopped and looked at it several times, but I havent driven it. I think it is silver, but the paint has faded badly on the trunk and hood. It needs a repaint bad in my opinion. Pretty clean other than that, except for a torn drivers armrest. I live in Greenbrier and work in Springfield, so I go past it a couple of times a day. He just moves it from one side of the back of the lot to the other every now and then. He wanted 2500 for it back when he first got it. I thought that was a little high. Going by the collector car prices on the <A HREF="http://www.vmrintl.com" TARGET=_blank>www.vmrintl.com</A> site, that car would be worth $2k if it still had good paint, but it doesn't. This is the one I was talking about buying in my other post. I haven't talked to him yet, but I was gonna offer $1500 for it, since he's had it for sale for so long, I thought I might get lucky. If thats the same car you are interested in, go for it. Like I said in my other post, I prefer the 71-72's over the 73's. I just hate seeing a good car like that site and deteriorate, that was why I was interested in it again.<BR>Jon

Don: Does this Electra have a passenger side mirror now? Is it missing or damaged? Did it come with a miiror on it? I am trying to answer a question about replacing the whole door or just the mirror sent on my private email I believe from you on this topic. Is the passenger door damaged know?

the buick in question did not originaly come with the passenger side mirror. the car is in very good condition and i would hate to have to get a new door just to get a mirror so i was wondering if it would be possable to get a mirror and possably cut a hole. the drivers side mirror is inplace but the mirror itself and the adjustment linkage is all loose and nonoperative. so i think i'm basicaly looking for both a drivers side and passanger side mirror. my only internet connection is here at work so i will not be responding back till sunday night about this same time.<P>thanks,<BR>don

Captin Don: It would be very easy to install the passenger side mirror on a door that never had one originally. You would just need to use the mounting plate as a template and drill two mounting holes. To do this you would only need to remove the interior door panel and put the nuts on the inside and tighten them. Then you install the mirror on the mounting plate and tighten the screw that hold the mirror to the mounting plate. You may want to make a template and take some measurements to establish the mirror mounting position on the door. Really should be do-able by about anybody with reasonable mechanical ability.

Guest Shaffer

My 72 Electra does not have the right side rear view mirror. I have seen very few 71-73 Electras with the passenger side mirror. Actually, I too would prefer the mirror. I have noticed that even on the 71-73 Cadillacs, that most do NOT have the passenger side mirror either. Obviously a option on those as well. Also, I have noticed that many of the 71-73 Lincolns do not have the mirrors either. Obviously a option even on the most upscale cars of the early 70s.<p>[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]