BUICK-OLDS-PONT. SWAP MEET

palbuick

The 11thAnnual B-O-P Swap meet wil be held March 24, 2002. Sponsered by the Illinois Valley Oldsmobile Club, LOcated at the Dupage County Fairgrounds, Wheaton Il , about 35 miles west of Chicago, Il. This is the fastest growing one day swap meet, with ovwr 120 spaces, and 50+ vendors. NO CHEV,<BR> NO FORD, NO CHRYSLER NO HUDSON, NO MUSTANG,<BR>NO DODGE. EVERYTHING is Buick POntiac, Oldsmobile and CAd. GS, 442, GTO. plus the full size big cars. Only swap meet you can go to and find NOS parts everywhere. For information write: IVOC, P.O. Box 557903, Chicago, Il 69655.<BR>THIS IS AN INDOOR MEET<BR>Jim Schilf / palbuick@al.com<p>[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: palbuick ]

Now theres a idea that should turn into a trend. People need to see the other great cars produced by GM. There was a local GTO sponsored meet that had a few Buicks ,Olds and Caddys.Still not enough full size cars though. With out more interest being developed in these cars there will never be much after market. I believe that if people could get a really good look with out the distraction of the Muscle cars they would be able to see the beauty and detail that went into these cars.<P>I believe if more products were available people would not steer away from non muscle.One of the big attractions to them is if you need a quarter or patch panel you can get it. New door panels you just buy them. Our full size Buicks and Olds are a nightmare to get sheet metal, lenses ,upholstery for. I think most people would like something a little different, but these neglected models just dont seem practical for them.<P>Then you get the SBC Malibu syndrome.

I agree fully.I started with full size Buicks back in the early 80's then went to Gs' and Skylarks as restoration parts were plentiful.I now am glad to be back with the Big boys.I always liked these cars.I remeber being on my honeymoon and seeing Jims 70 black Wildcat at the Gran Sport Nationals and this caused me to hunt for a similar one.Took me 4 years but finally found one.What a pleasure.My wife even likes it better than the Gran Sports we owned.She had a 72 stage 1 automatic and I had the 70 stage 1 4 speed. Not taking anything away from the Gran Sports for they are a sweet ride but I'd like to see a better mix of the Big Buicks also.

Guest oldtimer

i wish there was something like that in southern california. the only swap meet that i have luck at is the bca chapters meets. if i'm REALLY lucky i'll find something at pomona about the 3 ot 4 time i go.

• 4 weeks later...

Oldtimer and everyone is southern California, the Buick Club Pasadena show is on May 19,2002 this year and the All GM Show put on by the LA Chapter BCA is on June 2, 2002. Last year Pasadena had about 15 swappers and also last year the All GM had about 25 swappers. For everyone in the west please support both of these shows.<BR>Thank You

• 2 weeks later...

Question....is this swap meet have a good mix of both older and newer car stuff ? Also, has anybody been to this one ? I've been very disappointed with most of the swap meets I've been going to over the past few years as most of them just sell the "candy" such as magazines, diecast cars, chrome engine goodies, engine hop up stuff, TOO many tools, etc, and don't have much in the way of either engine parts, chrome grilles/door handles/emblems etc or body parts that you REALLY need to restore the car...any inputs on that or if they cover just the muscle cars such as GTO's, GS's, or do they have good mix of older stuff too ? Thanks.<p>[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: BuickNut ]

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I have attended this event for many years.<P>It is a meat & potatoes event. Books, tools parts, etc. Lots of good parts, wide variety of years and manufacturers.<P>By 10-11:00 you can not fit through the aisles.<P>Scott Mich<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88

• 2 weeks later...

To those that want to attend, I have been selling and buying at this meet for several years. And I have found everything from an Original wood top bow (1941-1948) running board moldings for a 1940-70 series, A lot of 50s & 70s NOS parts.Sure there are a lot of Muscle parts, but one can always get lucky digging into that pile of parts. Unlikely that you will find anythig for a Brass Buick or something from the 20s. The Chapters cordinating the Meet hav always tried to keep the NASCAR toys, T-shirts and any non automotive vendors and parts out of the meet. Sometimes tool vendors are necessary. If you have a buddie who is a Pontiac or Olds collector double up for the drive.<BR>Less than a month away.<BR>Doors open to vendors at 6:00Am and to the public at 8:00Am.<BR>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

there is an event similar to that here is tucson, it is called the chunk wilson bop shootout. they have a car show in the morning, an they hold a race at sir (southwest international raceway) in the evening. last year there was an ok turn out with mostly buick some pontiacs and like three olds. i attended last year but sadly i probably wont make it this year with my car as it is in the process of being painted. but the good news is that my mother is going to take her 87 gn and my step dad is probably going to drive there 72 skylark.<P>robert petrone<BR>72 skylark 350 (gsx clone with 455 and all the goods)<BR>87 grand national (moms gnx clone)<BR>72 skylark custom (pops project)<BR>72 skylark custom (parents cruiser)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, looks like I was able to clear my calender for the Swap Meet.....gonna take 5 hrs driving each way from Detroit to get there though ! Still kinda anxious because all of the swap meets I've gone to here in the area have been lots of "candy" - but from the previous responses, sounds like this has actual stuff ya need to "restore yer wheels". I'll give'er a try and see what its like.

I went to the swap meet today and yes I seen lots of parts, but I had a list of 12 items I was looking for my 64 Skylark and I got skunked, Not one item. Well maybe I will have better luck next time. I only drove 450 miles from my home in Ky.

Well it over......<BR>To 64 Skylark, I don't know where you looked, but I had a NOS hood ornament for a 64 Skylark, sold for 75.00. New Grille for a <BR>Olds Starfire. There was one dealer who had purchased an estate of an old timer who had collected NOS Buick,OLDs, Pont Chev parts for over 30 years, From front fendere to grilles and everything inbetween, lots of chrome goodies. I had several people looking for 37 - 38 - 39 parts, Even located someone <BR>who was selling complete drive train fron 39 Special(Motor rebuilt all painted with all decals), He has two 39 4drs and making a street rod out of one and parting the other.<BR>Overall a good swapmeet with Buick parts again about 30-35% of meet.<BR>The meet will be sponsored next year by the Chicagoland chapter BCA.<P>JIm Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

I have always found thing I am looking for there. I sold for the first time this year. Started off slow, but picked up nicely - I was very happy. <P>Most shows near Chicago are poor, because there are too many. I see the same vendors selling the same overpriced stuff each time. Skip's swap meets in Lake County every month are the worst IMO.