Anyone know the 1st year for standard padded dash boards on Chevrolet full-size cars?

I know Chevrolet's had a padded dash option in 1956. 1966 was the first year for padded dashes as standard equipment on all Chevy passenger cars. Also many cars as they are restored lose the option padded dash in favor of painting the dash panel. Henry

Guest Shaffer

Thanks. That seems logical since 56 was the first year that Ford offered a padded dash. Thats right about a lot of old cars that originally had a padded dash are now just painted, as the old ones was bad and just removed. My uncle recently bought a 1956 Mercury Montclair 2-door hardtop and he said it originally had the padded dash, but it had been removed and painted. Actually, I prefer the padded dash. Thanks<P>Also forgot to mention, I think 65 must have been the 1st year for the padded dash as standard on full-size Chevrolets. I think 66 was the 1st year for the std. padded dash on the Nova II and Malibu.<p>[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Just finished watching Classic Road Show on Speedvision and they were showcasing Chrysler Town & Countries. They had a 1950 T&C w/an optional padded dash that the owner said was introduced as an option in 1949.

Guest Shaffer

1949 would be the first year then that I would know of. The earliest car I have actually seen with a padded dash was a 1953 Oldsmobile 98 convertible. Was the 49 Chrysler T&C with the padded dash a wagon or convertible? I think sometime in the late 40s/early 50s that the Town and Country was also in the form of a convertible and sedan, as well as the more popular wagon. I would assume that Cadillac may have also offered a padded dash around the 49-50 era. <P>Tony.<P>72 Buick Electra 225 Custom 4dr hardtop<BR>89 Pontiac Safari 4dr wagon<BR>91 Honda Accord LX 4dr sedan<BR>(71 Chevrolet Caprice 4dr hardtop/73 Pontiac Grand Ville 4dr hradtop- maybe)<P>[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]<p>[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest Shaffer

I think the year was 1965, but does anyone know the 1st year for standard padded dash board on the full-size Chevrolets? I think by 1968, all cars had to have a padded dash, due to federal safety regulations, but I think a lot of cars had standard padded dash before then. I think 65 was the first year for Chevrolet, as I have never seen a 65-newer full-size Chevrolet with a metal dash. Appreciate any clues. Also keying in on any other known first years for standard padded dash panels welcomed. The OLDEST car I have ever seen with a padded dash from the factory was the 1953 Oldsmobile 98s. Most 53 Olds Ninety-Eights I have seen have a padded dash. I am sure that Cadillac was the first to have it, but not sure. My uncles 55 Cadillac had a padded dash and Ford did not offer padded dash boards until 1956. I THINK the first year Chevrolet offered a padded dash as optional was 1958, but not sure. (1956 I was told - see below post) I vaguely remember seeing a 57 Chevrolet Bel-Air wagon with a padded dash. Does anyone know the first year Chevrolet offered a padded dash? I think by 1956 or 57, Cadillacs had a standard padded dash. Not sure about Lincoln, but I recently seen a 57 Lincoln at a cruise-in and it had a metal dash. Not sure at all about the Chrysler cars. My grandfathers 55 Buick has metal dash, not sure but I think that padded dash was optional on the 55 Buick Roadmaster and either the Super or Century (whichever was the higher end model). You would think that if the 53 Oldsmobile 98 had a padded dash, that the 53 Buick would have it as a option as well. Even some of the rare 53 Skylark convertibles I have seen have metal dash boards. Maybe someone can verify some of these points. Thanks to everyone for their help. <P>Tony<P>72 Buick Electra<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord<p>[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

What about the '48 Tucker? I know it had a number of safety features, but I'm not sure if that was one of them. It may have inspired Chrysler to offer them in the '49 models to see if safety would sell.

Guest Shaffer

I am not too familiar with the Tuckers safety featues, but you are right. The Tucker was supposed to have a lot of safety features. Anyone know the first year for standard padded dash on the full-size Buicks? All past 1958 I have seen have the padded dash.<p>[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

• 2 months later...
Guest Shaffer

There is currently a 1950 Chrysler on E-Bay item: <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1812542826&tc=photo6181" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1812542826&tc=photo6181</A> <P>and it has what looks to be a padded dash. Looks original as well. Somene had mentioned that they thought Chryslers was the first American cars that had the padded dash. I think Mercedes was the first. Not 100% sure who was the inventor/first to have padded dash pads. I think that in 1956 Ford was the first car company to sell a safety package called "life-gaurd" safety package. From what I understand, was not very popular, as people back in the 50s did not care about safety features on cars. I also think that in 1956, all Fords had the safety steering wheel, which was the steering wheel, with the center in farther. I think it was 57 or 58 before GM started using the steering wheels. I know that be 1959 they did. My old 1960 Oldsmobile had it. The books referred to it as the "safety vee" steering wheel. I think Mercedes was the inventor of the collaspable/energy absorbing steering column.