The Classic Car

The Classic Car came in the mail yesterday. This has to be the best issue since I became a member over two years ago. The article by Mr. Brooks T. Brierley about the Pierce- Arrow 32 and 33 series was out standing. The same can be said about Coach Works Lines by W.E. Gosden. Since I am very intersted in the history of the Golden Era there should be more articles like these two. I have one question to ask, on page 22 the 1934 Duesenberg J-154 body by Murshy be considered a Convertible Victoria? I have always considered a Convertible Victoria to be in the style as done by Raymond Dietrich, Waterhouse, or by the orginal designer of the Convertible Victoria Alex de Sakhnoffsky.. I consider the body style on the Duesenberg to be of the Convertible Sedan style. cool.gif

I haven't received my copy yet, but I'll bet you are looking at a two door convertible that if it had two more doors would be a convertible sedan. I don't know a better way to say this. Some Convertible Victorias look just like a Convertible Sedan but have only two doors. I'm looking forward to receiving my copy and will take a look.

Guest Chuck Conrad

Wait until you see the color pictures of the Annual Meeting! They are in the latest issue, and probably the best indoor shots of cars I've ever seen.

I hope you like them as much as I do.

The Duesenberg on page 22 is a convertibe sedan. It's just a misprint. It's technically a "Brunn Riviera Phaeton" (fancy wording for convertible sedan) If you look with a magnifying glass, you can read the writing on the license plate.

I agree with Chuck Conrad about the Junebug Clark indoor photos of the annual meeting. I was really impressed with the finished look. They 're great.

Some people have a problem with enhanced images, but everybody does it including Time, Newsweek, Better Homes & Garden and yes even Playboy.

The "soft focus" backgrounds really accent the subject"automobile".

In the old days "7 or 8 years ago" photographers used gels & vasoline on the lens, but today it's hi-end digital imaging. My guess is Mr. Clark used a Gaussian Blur of 10 or 15 after clipping path the car and applying the filter. My compliments to the chef. Great job and nice soft touch. Atta-boy Junebug

Bob Horgan ? Grand Rapids, MI

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words regarding my "Coachworklines" column. I have been contributing for about two decades to the Classic Car, and am still amazed anyone looks at what I send in! I have enough material for about another thirty years worth, I hope a few of you continue to find of interest the information I submit. I urge all CCCA members to send in the period information and photos they may have to our great editor Bev Kimes. SHARE what you have and i will continue to do the same.

Walt G: My feelings are the same as Mr. Millers keep on publshing your fine articles. I would realy like it if your Coachworklines column would be permanate feature in every issue of THE CLASSIC CAR. I find the history of the Custom Coach builders very interesting and a some what ignored part of the Classic era

Thanks fellas, I try to get something for each issue, but it takes time to do the proper research, I want to get out the information/illustrations/photos etc. that have not been seen before. There is SO much of this, and to just reread what has been written previously and then rewrite ones own version based on the labor of others is to easy, and not always that accurate. That's just not my style. I try to get a balance of one article on European coachwork, the next on some domestic coachwork. I'll keep plugging along, Sincerely appreciate the kind words. Walt G