1940 buick ?- new find-not sure what I have?

Hello, Can anyone help me with identifying what I have? I believe it is a 1940 Buick Super Eight. We found it in a barn, mostly intact, the way a previous owner had left it. The style looks very close to the special order Brunn & Company version from Buffalo, NY. Any input would be helpful. I would like to restore it, but have not had much luck with restoration material. I have restored two mustangs and am currently restoring a 69 big block camaro convertible, the buick is somewhat foreign to me. Thanks in advance.

The 1940 "Townmaster" was built by Brunn on a 126" w/b Roadmaster chassis. It had a sedan body with a higher roofline, and a removable top over the front seating area. Supposedly there was to be another version built on the shorter Super chassis, but was not built during the 1940 model year. You should have the 320 cubic inch straight-8.<P>Try to get a copy of "Seventy Years of Buick" by George H. Dammann. The '40 Townmaster is pictured on page 189. <P>I recall seeing another photo of one, but I don't remember the source. One detail that I do remember is the hood release handles said "Townmaster" instead of the usual Buick series name.<BR>That's about as much as I know about it, for now. <P>Randy<BR>BCA#9592 smile.gif" border="0

Dose this car have outside exposed running boards, in 1940 the Super and Roadmaster were without running boards. The Special Century and Limited series had a runningboard<BR>You can also check the cowl trim tag, should be on the pass side cowl under the hood, this should give you some idea of model and series, be sure to copy all letters and numbers. There were several custom body makers who used Buicks to create several one of a kind cars,and are scarce.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

Thanks for the advice. I will post the Tag numbers tomorrow. I wrote them down over the holiday and forgot to bring them with me today. This car has sat in a barn for about 20 years. I was told to use kerosene to lube and free the cylinders and that it may even start? Anyone experience? Any advice is appreciated.