Sign in to follow this  
ThomasBorchers

Need help with the ignition of my 1947 Lincoln V 12

Hi Peecher,

I am sorry, but where can I find the power valve ? I have no shop manual to this car and it seems that I am the only one in Germany who has such a Lincoln.

Could you say me how I can set the gas level in the carb ?

Yes, I can screw the mixture screws in and the engine runs...

Do you know the best way to check the condensers ? How much microF should they have ?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

The power valve is screwed in to the bottom of the carburetor body. You need to separate the body from the base to get at it. Any dampness in the cavity of the base that fits over this valve might indicate the center portion (diaphragm) of the valve is leaking. The carburetor on your lincoln is the same with a few differences as those used on Fords and Mercurys of the same era. Repair kits for the Ford/Mercs will contain this valve along with new float valve, gaskets etc. With the carburetor top (airhorn)removed and inverted the measurement from the top part of the float ( not the seam) to the flat surface of the mounting should be 1-5/16". You should probably check the carburetor thoughly while you have it apart. Bad inlet valve, incorrect float level, leaky float along with the power valve can all cause flooding/rich mixture.

An auto electric shop should be able to check your condensers. be sure they check the when they are warm as that is when they usually break down. Can't remember the exact rating on the condensers but i believe they were between .33mfd to .37mfd. These are unique to the Lincoln in configuration but some people have modified the '37 to '41 Ford V8 units to work. The regular V12 type are availble from the supplies listed in the "sources" at the site. Hope you find your troubles.

PS, you might find this site useful for carbs and kits. http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carbindex.htm

Hi Peecher,

thanks for your help.

Today I removed the carb. and checked it. Float setting is ok, float is ok, Gaskets ok, power valve leaks just a very, very few but it don't drip gas down of this valve.

Seems that everything is ok with the carb.

I started the engine and the first 10 seconds it ran great but then came the rough idling again. But engine picks up really good speed when I press the gas pedal down and it seems that NOW all cylinders are running. Before I had a sound like bbbbrrrrrommm and now it is gone and sounds good. Exhaust is light blue when I press the gas pedal down. Perhaps a problem because the engine didn't run 3 years or so and will be better when we drive the car ?

I drove a bit on our ground and it seems that the engine has now a good power to test it on the streets but why this bad, slow idle ? It is a pity...

Greetings

Tom

Tom, the power valve on the carburetor cannot leak at all. This valve gets vacuum from the engine and any small leak will cause the engine to run rich and mess up the idling. I think you should replace this valve if you detect any leakage.

You can use Holley power valves with the same vacuum rating which is the numbers stamped on the valve. if you cant find the power valves there try summitracing.com they run about 7 us dollars, I have some extras at the house if you send me the size you have I will send you one, I will need your address though.

Hello !

since I removed the power valve to take its size, the engine has now a better and faster idle... but it should be better to change the power valve. V12lincoln, I sent you some photos and size. Now both mixture screws are screwed out just a half turn and the engine runs not bad. Is this normal or indicates this a bad power valve ?

A question for the oil pressure : How much should actually show the oil pressure gauge.

Greetings

Tom

on this subject of the voltage at the coil. this is just my way of thinking

the voltage at the coil is around 5 volts, then when a set of points close

it will drop to about 2 to 3 volts due to the points being closed.

when they open it will go back up to about 5 volts,

on the oil pressure, head on down to auto zone and buy a mechanical gage

remove the sending unit and screw in the gage

fire it up and you will know for sure what the oil pressure is.

'gene

Hello Gene,

thanks for your hint. The car runs now not bad, it seems as more often we drive, that it will going better. Engine did not run a lot of years.

Tom