62 Skylark Convertible

Greetings All, I am brand new to this forum, and brand new to buicks. I am certainly in a mood to learn though, and am jumping in with both feet.

I am in the process of buying a 62 skylark convertible.

As such, The learning curve is fairly steep at this point.

Are there any references that y'all would recommend for my pleasure reading?

Also if there are any owners of this particular model out there that might give me a little of the "Good Dope" on this car.

The car my wife and I are looking at is pretty close to being fully restored in the last two years. Im sure there will be some work left to do, but also I will want to gather information concerning the ongoing work that keeps the car in restored shape.

Any advise that y'all care to give would be usefull I'm sure.

Thanks a bunch

Randy (Digger) Birt

Digger,

Welcome to the '62 Skylark club!!

My wife and I have owned our '62 Skylark ragtop since 1990, and have driven it thousands of miles during that time. It is truly a fantastic, fun car to own and drive. Ours was in darned good shape when we bought it, but we've replaced virtually all the chrome, new top, new carpet, and new paint.

Please don't ever hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I'll be happy to help in any way I can, or at least steer you to someone who can.

Best of luck, and enjoy you're new treasure,

Bob & Judy Leets grin.gifgrin.gif

Flint, MI

Thanks a bunch for the reply guys, I'm sure I will need good advise along the way. Expect me to post or e-mail.

-If possible could you guys email me some detailed pictures of the interior of your 62 skylarks that I can use as a reference?

Thanks again,

Here's a picture of the car I am buying.

Randy (Digger) Birt

Digger, that's a beautiful Skylark!

I see that you're located in Texas. I hope that you will make an effort to attend this year's Buick Club of America National Meet in Plano, Texas. This would be a great opportunity for you to meet other Buick enthusiasts and perhaps see some other '62 Skylarks.

Guest my3buicks

Digger, I had a 61 Skylark Coupe. What wonderful cars!!! Was always impressed with the ride, handlig and power of that little car. They looked like mini Electras

I have a question that I hope is not too stupid, but here goes.

What kind of gas do y'all run in your classic cars. Leaded Gas is unavailable. As I understand it, the lead was a lubricant/protectant for parts of the engine. Is normal unleaded gas Ok to use, or are there additives that should be used. Sorry for being such a newby, but i guess I gotta start somewhere?

Thanks,

Randy (Digger) Birt

Guest COMPACTBC

Randy, the 215 aluminum V8 engine has hardened valve seats from the factory, so there is no need to spend any $$ on additives. I have two Skylark engines in my two cars and in the coupe I use the regular 87 octane and it does not ping. In my convertible I mainly use the 91 octane (thats the max here in CA)but if I am driving in flat country, I can get away with the 89 octane. Just try different octanes and see which one works for you. You might want to join the Compact Buick Club for technical info on these great little cars. Let me know by direct email if you want to join. cool.gif I think I figured out how to add a picture of my Special Deluxe Convertible,hope it works.

• 1 month later...

laugh.gifcool.gifgrin.gif

Well, the car is on the way!!!! the shipping co. picked it up yesterday. We think we will take delivery sometime this weekend. I cant wait. I am like a kid the night before christmas. Cant sleep a wink!!!

When the owners send us the title, they also included a "pre-restoration" photo. This picture scared the crap out of me! The car WAS a total heap!!!!I had no idea that it has been so far down before restoration.

I had to go back to the inspection report and read it completely again to satisfy myself that everything really was good to go.

Anyway, I am seriously looking forward to this car. What an adventure!

Randy (Digger) Birt

For whom it may concern, I always felt that these cars just semed to lack something. I could never put my finger on what it was. Then this summer, at the Centenial meet, there was a sweet blue one, which I think had the 14" factory road wheels. And that was it. Those wheels seemd to push the tires out towards the fender more, giving the car a real muscular stance. It really seemd to be the missing link.

John d

HAppy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!!!

The Skylark arrived last night, and boy is she a looker. I just cant believe it. We took her for a little spin to the car wash and then around town a little bit. Soooo much fun. I have never driven a convertible before. It's very liberating!!!

The gentleman who restored her passed away last week from cancer. His name was Bill Vos. We have name the car "Billie" in his honor. I dont know much about him, but he did a really nice job. I think the buick was his last project.

I hope we keep her nice so as to live up to his nice work.

The only problem I have encountered is that the e-brake seems to be stuck. It does not seem to want to pull out at all. It jiggles a little, but wont move. I think I will lift it today to take a look at the cables.

Thanks for all your encouragement. I really apprevciate it!

Randy (Digger) Birt

Hey guys First Problem to solve.

I lifted the car, and the e-brake cable just under the drivers seat is a rusted clump. It certainly needs to be replace. Will this cable be able to be replaced from modern equip, or do y'all think I will need to find an original cable. Thanks for your help.

Randy (Digger) Birt

Guest COMPACTBC

Congratulations Digger, You will enjoy this unique little Buick a lot. I'm the original owner of my '62 Conv and it's my favorite in my collection. Regarding your parking brake cable, is it beyond repair? I may have a usable brake cable in my shed. As you can see by my signiture, I am the BCA tech advisor for these cars and if you need any info, feel free to call me or email me. smile.gif Where do you live?

Guest imported_Thriller

Good luck with the new ride...it is a neat car...now if only I could get rid of the rattles, vibrations, etc. so that I can have confidence in mine.

Bruce will steer you right. He has had an answer to just about every question I have had about my car and is downright friendly.