Packard 8 Heads

MBL

Guest Albert

I agree with the good looking part... But the price is a little deep for the pocket, thats more than i paid for the whole car.

They are expensive for sure...alot of that repro speed stuff is up there in price...it does seem pretty cool tough....it might be cool for like a Pan Am style car or were those mostly stock...still cool.

Tim

MBL

Guest Kevin AZ

MBL.........very nice looking indeed. A question though.....didn't Packard have problems with the alum head in 1954 though?

Guest Albert

Yes there seems to be a lot of the 1954 359ci motors that seem to have the 327 heads on them, myself included, one problem may be is the expansion rate of the head vrs the cylinder block, and the gasket just not taking the movement of the two pieces. Could also be trying to get it torqued down properly.

One of the big problems with the 359 Aluminum heads was stripped threads and cracks around the plug holes. My current 359 head has a crack around plug hole nmber 5. It hasn't gotten bad enough for me to replaced the head yet but I may do so this spring since I bought another good aluminum head about a year ago for just that purpose. I do know from experience that torqing them correctly is very important. In fact you need to re-torque them at least two additional times after the engine has been run a while. You will find them under torqued once they have heated up and cooled down a couple of times. I think a lot of people forget or forgot to do this addition re-torque and as a result caused many of the cracking problems.

• 1 month later...

I have the Edmunds aluminum head and two carb manifold on a 1948 Custom 8 Club Sedan. The improvement in performance is substantial and, in my view, well worth the expense. A particularly appealing factor is that it is a "period correct" enhancement. An enhancement, in fact, that was installed several times in the late Forties by Packard Washington (factory distributor), in the District of Columbia, for special cutomers.

Edmunds estimated that the combination upgrade increased horsepower by 22%.

Paul Delaney

• 13 years later...