1939 Zephyr Convertible Coupe

Here's an interesting item I found while doing a "Yahoo" search for "1939 Lncoln Zephyr Convertible Coupe".

http://www.users.cts.com/tundra/s/speedo/39.htm

This car was on e-bay about a year ago with an appraisal of $50,000. It failed to meet the reserve. High bid was $38,918.88. Now it's going to another auction at a significantly higher price.

The text accompanying the photos reads as follows:

"ONE OF ONLY THREE KNOWN, THIS 1939 LINCOLN ZEPHYR CONVERTIBLE IS A SPLENDID EXAMPLE OF AUTOMOTIVE ART DECO. IT WAS PERSONALLY PENNED BY EDSEL FORD.

CLARK GABLE, HIMSELF A MOTORING ENTHUSIAST, DROVE A ZEPHYR COUPE

JUST LOOK AT IT. IT IS A DEEP, RICH, VERY DARK RED, WITH TAN LEATHER

TWELVE CYLINDERS, IN A STREAMLINED BODY.

NOTE THE FINE DETAIL WORK.

THE CAR SEATS FIVE WITH ROOM TO SPARE. THE DASH LOOKS LIKE THE CONTROL PANEL FROM FLASH GORDEN'S SPACE CRUISER....

THIS CAR WILL BE AUCTIONED. THE MINIMUM BID WILL BE $750OO U S DOLLARS. ESTIMATE $85000 TO $125000 SELLING PRICE".

It will be interesting to find out if the car really sells this time! shocked.gifsmirk.gif

Hey Phil, really laughable about these "politician" ad writers isn't it?? You have personally owned more than 3 of this model yourself, and know of many more, right?? And what did Edsel F pen?? Don't the auction places control the jargon on this stuff at all?? Just curious, Rolf

Well Rolf, this will rip your knickers.

An update on the 1939 Lincoln Zephyr Convertible Coupe. Quote from Don's Hot Rods:

See the last item at: http://www.donshotrods.com/shoptour1.html

"Larry and Pauline Thomson of Crystal River, Florida have a nice collection of street rods. They've chosen Don and his crew to build their next project, a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr Convertible Coupe. It will include several subtle body mods, and a lot of modern comforts. The chassis will be supported by an independent air ride system. Keep an eye on this one!"

Actually Rolf, I have only owned one of these cars and I feel lucky to have it! However, in my search for a 1939 Zephyr convertible I did manage to sniff out a few that weren't listed in either the LZOC or LCOC.

Regarding the auction writeup, we used to have a saying in the computer business which seems to apply in a myriad of other situations: "Don't confuse Selling with Installing!"