Does the "225" in Electra 225 mean anything?

Pat Baysinger

It sure does mean something!<P>When Buick introduced all new series names in 1959 (LeSabre, Invicta, Electra), the top-of-the-line model was an extended-length version of the Electra. The standard Electra measured 220.6 inches in overall length, but the ultimate Buick -- the Electra 225 -- stretched 225.4 inches. This is where the "225" designation originated. Beginning with the 1962 models, the standard Electra had vanished and all Electras became Electra 225's.<P>The extra length of the '59 225 was all in the rear overhang area. In this respect, the car was similar to the '58 Limited, which shared its wheelbase with Super and Roadmaster models, but was longer overall due to the extended rear deck.<P>Interestingly, the longer body was used only on the two different 4-door hardtop styles offered in the Electra 225 series. These cars were unique among the Buicks in that they had a large stainless molding stretching from the rear wheel opening to the rear bumper. The Electra 225 convertible used the standard Electra body rather than the extended length body, and lacked the large stainless molding on the rear quarter.<P>There were no 2-door hardtops offered in the Electra 225 series. The sole Electra 2-door hardtop was in the standard Electra series.

Sorry I just did search and could not find the topic I was thinking of.I dont remember the topic title. I was thinking quite a few people responded to it stating the length of certain cars or cars they had owned. Maybe someone else will remember the topic and know where to find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Don, 442 did stand for 4bl, 4spd, dual exhaust for the 1964 442. It came with a 330 cid 4 bl engine, 4 speed tranny was the only one available. In 1965 it was given a 400 cid engine 3 spd or 4 spd manual trans and 2 spd automatics. Thus it is now 400, 4bl, dual exhaust. In '66 they also had a 3 two bl option so by now it was just a name. Henry.

Don, <BR> Your going to open a can of worms with that FYI. I heard that it originally stood for four-barrel, four-on-the-floor, and dual exhaust. The meaning seemed to change from year to year, with dual exhaust being the only constant.<P>How about the Dodge Cornet 440. I once saw a 62 advertised for $900. The next week the ad stated it had a 6 cyl engine. I bet he had dozens of calls that first week.<p>[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Tomsriv ]

Well, so much for the "2" being a constant with for "dual exhaust." I've heard that it meant 2 bucket seats. Please don't take that as gospel, it's just something I heard. But now I'm curious--I'll ask an authority after I get home from the holidays!<BR>As for the Coronet 440, I used to know the exact genisis of the name, but forget the details now. However, it was a model number, like the Dodge 330--it had nothing to do with the engine displacement.