64 SWagon Power window Problems

I have a power window on my 64 Sport wagon that recently decide it would go down and not return. This is not a good thing to have happen up here in Rainville (Seattle). Any common areas to troubleshoot? All the other windows work and this one "clicks" when the switch is hit. Can this window be closed manually until problem is solved? Granted the vista glass would help make for a cool aquarium, but I would rather keep it as a people hauler. Thanks in advance for any help. GH

Hi,if you are getting click out of that window the relay is actuating. Relay has two circuits closing coil and load contacts (for motor) Check to see if you are getting power to the load side these are usually the heavier gauge wire,then check to see if power goes to motor with switch on. If power to motor check motor ground,Also tap motor moderately with hammer see if it then goes.If not Motor may be bad especially if used alot ie: drivers side. You may be able to close the window (space is limited) by unbolting the motor from the riser,and then pulling it up and put motor back in to hold it. BE CAREFUL some of the risers have a heavy spring and they can be finger hungry!

Greg go to the search link and do a search for 'window motor'. A list will come up include these three threads: "Power Window Toubles", "My day at the Salvage Yard" and " I Fixed It". Read these threads in that order. They entail my passenger side window motor going out and how I rebuilt it. My guess is that you wore out a brush like I did. <BR>Zach<p>[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: 73Electra 225 ]

Thanks guys! All of your suggestions are very helpful. Especially for someone who has little or no experience with power window repair. While I have always considered skinned knuckles and the like a byproduct of our hobby, the warning about the "mini guillotine effect" when removing a power window is GREATLY appreciated. I will report back soon. Thanks again, GH