Hey Ace, hope you are writing us a saga of this trek into Columbia land, after all this time you must have had some setbacks, I always used plain old service station 90WT trans and rearend oil, never had a problem personally, Rolf

Guest imported_V12Bill

Ace, I agree with Rolf. I have used 90 W gear oil from NAPA in my 48 for about l0 years and 9,000 miles and have had no problems.

Bill laugh.gif

I have had this conversation with George Trickett. He told me he no longer had a source for rear end gear oil that did not contain sulphur. He said that these rear ends used brass bushings and shims,and that sulphur attacks and corrodes yellow metals. With that in mind, I contacted Quaker State/Pennzoil, Mobil/Exxon and Valvoline to inquire about sulphur content.

All three said that their "GL1" grade oil had no sulphur. George said that the GL1 grade is good for transmissions and steering gearboxes, but not good enough for the Columbia, it needed an "EP" or extreme pressure gear oil.

Quaker State and Mobil/Exxon said their GL5 "EP" grade oil had sulphur and told me not to use it in this application. However, Valvoline said that their GL5 grade oil had an "inactive sulphur" compound that would not attack the yellow metals. I am using Valvoline in mine.

The weight oil would be 80W-90.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!

Ain't the "information age" great, everybody is re-inventing the wheel with knowledge we never dreamed of before, I guess it is very good and desirable?? Any one ever have a rearend fail because of faulty lube?? I destroyed some, broken axles and ring gears, but never a known lube failure, as hard as I drove them, Rolf

Guest imported_V12Bill

Todays worst oils are better than the best oils of the fortys. I am not familiar with the Columbia internals, but the standard rears do not have any brass parts to be concerned with.

Those exams are called digital exams. If the doctor says "look no hands", run don't walk to the nearest exit!!! blush.gifshocked.gif