Virus Alert !!!

Pat Baysinger

I received an email from someone in the BCA today. The email was empty, but contained two attachments. I scanned the attachments with Nortan, and they were infected with the Bad Trans virus. The guy I received the email from didn't actually send it himself. The virus sent itself out by going through his address book.<P>I scanned my computer with Norton, and it's still clean...so far.<P>Pat

Just make sure you have a version of Norton that is Antivirus 2001 or higher for optimum protection. Also, make sure your virus definitions are up to date.<p>[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: 1959BuickEnthusiast ]

Guest Skyking

I had the same thing happen to me monday night. A guy I'm buying some parts from in California had an e-mail to me. When I tried to open it my computer went berzerk! It's a new Compaq with Windows XP. It didn't let it get thru. I e-mailed the guy to let him know about the problem. He said it happened to him also. These asses go into your address book and come to you that way. His just happened to be the first name on my list.

I have Windows XP also, and Norton 2001, and my "definitions" appear to be right. I did send the guy an email to let him know, but I haven't heard back from him. <P>Did you ever wonder if maybe Norton and the others create these viruses for job security? Na, surely they wouldn't do something like that...would they? <P> rolleyes.gif" border="0

Sorry Pat. I haven't answered because I didn't want to connect to a phone line until I got this Badtrans.B@MM virus cleaned off of my computer. The virus sends itself to everyone in your deleted or unread emails and sets a monitor to trap credit card and bank account information and send it to the source of the virus (not me; I wouldn't know how to use that info anyway.)<P>I went to McAfee.com and found instructions for removing the virus.

No problem Jerry. Since I didn't hear back from you, I thought the virus might have taken your computer down. This was my first experience with a virus. When I recieved the email from your computer, I didn't see any kind of a note, so I checked the attachments thinking you had were just sending me some photos of your car. I didn't even think about clicking on the option of "scan for viruses". As I was in the middle of downloading the attachment, I thought to myself...I wonder if this could be a virus. So I clicked on "sign out" of my mail to stop the download. Then I went back in and ran Norton virus scan and I was shocked to say the least. No harm done, and it was kind of fun seeing a virus for the first time...since I was lucky enough to figure it out in time. Good luck on getting your computer cleaned up, and send me some "real" photos of your car if it's easy for you to do. <P><BR> <P>ced

Guest Mr. Solutions

'Been in the IT industry for 15 years now, and I've never had virus... Lucky? Maybe, but Norton has ALWAYS played a roll in my strategy.<P>I've also refused to use Micro$oft's Outlook or Outlook Express from day #1 due to all it's associated security problems. Been using Pegagus all these years, and not once has anybody ever received automated mail from me, as VB scripts is turned off by default.<P>BTW, 63 Electra 225 , if you use XP, then Norton 2001 will NOT work on your box. It requires the 2002 edition to function properly, if at all.<p>[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Johan de Bruin ]