1st year for delay wipers on Buicks

Reatta Man

I'll look in my Buick book tonight to see if they were listed earlier than this, but the earliest I can recall is as an extra-cost option on the '75 or '76 Electra. The dash cutout for the wiper switch on the 71-74 model full-sized Buicks wouldn't have been large enough for the extra round knob used with the early version of delayed wipers. If they were available in the '71-'74 models, they would be extrememly rare. The common GM practice in the 50's through the late '60s was for Cadillac to have exclusive use of a new option for a few model years, then it would appear on Buick and some Oldsmobile models. <P>As GM went more and more to the multi-function turn signal stalk with the '77 full-sized models, delayed wipers became more and more common across all GM lines. <P>Hope this helps.<P>Joe

Guest Shaffer

Our 1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr used a octagon shaped wiper switch next to the headlamp switch. Turn it to the left and it was delay, the farther turned to the left, the longer the interval. Turn to the right and it was normal low and high speeds. Believe me, the high speed was high speed. Some of the fastest wipers I have even seen. Also a neat feature on the 73 full-size Fords was the wiper washers was on the wiper arms themselves. Do not remember if these was on the 72 Lincolns or not. It was a neat idea. Ford did have a better idea on this one. smile.gif" border="0. I do not think GM ever picked up this feature. <P>Tony<P>72 Buick Electra 225<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord<p>[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest Shaffer

Another thing on rare, unique options on early 70s cars. I read somewhere where the 1972 Cadillacs had optional anti-lock brakes. I did not know Cadillac offered these brakes in the early 70s. I know Lincoln did starting in about 1970 or 71. It was only rear anti-lock brakes on the Lincolns. It was standard on the Mark III's but optional on the Continentals. Any info on this? Thanks, Tony

Guest Skyking

Shaffer, I bought a 72 AMC Hornet that had the windshield washers on the wiper arms. It was instant water when you turned them on. The wipers didn't have time to scratch a dry windshield...AMC had alot of good ideas too. They were the first to have duel master brake cylinders.........among other things.

Guest Shaffer

Looks like AMC got that one first, even if they did use Ford, GM and Chrysler parts. tongue.gif" border="0 I think GM was the first to offer airbags as a option on the 1974-1976 Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs. My grandmother used to own a 1974 Oldsmobile Toronado she bought almost new and it had the optional airbag. It was a VERY rare option. I think Ford Motor Company supplied a few cars to who ever was designing the airbags, as I have old ads from the early 70s and Allstate has a ad in a few of them showing airbags and the car demonstrating them are a 1971 Mercury Monterey.<p>[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest Shaffer

GM discontinued the airbags in 1977, I guess as people back then was scared of them. They was not offered again on any car, until 1984 as a option on the larger Mercedes Benzs and believe it or not- the 1984 Ford Tempos and was optional on them until they was discontinued in 1994. It was very rare for them as well. The first manufacturer to have standard airbags for the driver was the 1986 Mercedes Benz. People are still scared of airbags, but not as much as they was back in the 1970s or even the early 90s. Todays airbags are designed to inflate with less force than the older cars. I am sure that it was GM that was the first to offer airbags in the 74-76 Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs. Must be extremely rare, as my grandmothers 74 Oldsmobile Toronado was the only one I have ever seen in person with the airbag and it has been so long that I do not even remember what the steering wheel looked like. <P>Tony<P>72 Buick Electra<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord

Guest Shaffer

Does anyone know what the first year was that Buicks was available with delay (intermittent) wipers? I know Lincoln had them as early as 1972 (maybe earlier, but we used to own a 1972 Lincoln Continental and it had delay wipers) and I think that Cadillac did not have them in 1972 (at least my old 72 Sedan DeVille did not have them, as I do remember it had mist, low, medium and high speeds). I assume that Cadillac may have had them before Buick, maybe not. I do not think that Cadillac offered the "speed alert" on the early 70s Cadillacs as Buick did, nor do I think that Cadillac had the optional gear shift wiper control that was rare, but was available on the Buicks. Changing the subject: I think the neatest think on the old Lincolns was the speedometer. Our 1972 and 1976 Lincoln had the speedometer that had the little bar that looked like a light going across the speedometer. The older Lincolns (starting in 1961 I think) had these as well. Some may remember, that the 1959-1960 Oldsmobiles had this type speedometer, as well as some of the late 50s Pontiacs (1957). Other cars I am sure had this type speedo as well. <P>Any info on the delay wipers appreciated. <P>Tony<P>1972 Buick Electra <BR>1989 Pontiac Safari<BR>1991 Honda Accord

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Im afraid of airbags now!!!!My wifes Safri has them and I hate driving it for that reason, I had an Intrepid before the Safari and the bags shorted out and popped on the highway ... what a mess & OUCH!!!. As far as the delay wipers were concerned my 78 Caddy still has the dash mounted delay wipers and they are basically just a larger slide switch. Of course this Caddy seems to be a throwback.... the dimmer switch is still on the floor in this car and its vanity mirror is NOT lighted .... My Buick has these things and its a year older than the Caddy. Guess we know what the luxury GMs really were shocked.gif" border="0<P>Dan

Guest Shaffer

GENO: Do you recall how the light you could see read? I would like to know what it would have read if the car was airbag equipped. Most modern cars today say "airbag", "inflatable restraint", or just simply a icon of a person and a airbag deploying. The airbags must have been an EXTREMELY RARE option on the 74-76 GM cars. <P>Tony<P>72 Electra sedan<BR>89 Safari wagon<BR>91 Accord sedan

Delay wipers were first available on 74 Buicks. They will fit 72's with a little trimming of the switch mounting area of the dash. The trim piece covers all the modifications. To make it work, you need the switch, wiper motor, washer pump, and the jumper harness. I put them on my second 72 Riv years ago. I have seen a few 74 Buicks with the air bag option. It was listed for 76, but not used I read. They cars with it had a different steering wheel, dash pad and a knee pad, so they are easy to spot. One 74 I saw in Pick Your Part years ago had been in a front end wreck. There was a decal inside the glove box that asked you to call GM if the car was wrecked. I guess that they wanted data on the air bags. One problem with them was that you couldn't get a tilt steering wheel with air bags and owners didnt like that. I read that on woman even broke the turn signal switch trying to get an air bag car's steering wheel to tilt.

My 71 manual mentioned a wiper option where you could turn on the wipers and they would stop at the bottom of the windshield, but they wouldn't "park" out of view. You would push a button to activate the wipers when you needed them. I wish mine had this option because I'm afraid I'm going to wear out my switch from turning the wipers on and off so much.

Guest Shaffer

Previously mentioned, my grandmothers old 1974 Oldsmobile Toronado had the airbag option and I do not recall what it looked like inside the driver area. I think I was about 10, when they finally sold it to the junk yard. The car was only about 12 years old and it totally rusted away. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <BR>Can we thank GM for their good metal from the mid 70s? rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>Tony<P>72 Buick Electra<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord

Tony,<P>I don't recall the wording, I think it was "AIR BAG" on an amber colored lens. But I am not really sure.<BR>I did pull out and old 1974 owners manual that I save fron one that was being junked a few years ago. On page 5 it refers to the optional Air Cushion Restraint System or ACRS and a seperate manual for that system.<BR>On page 27 it refers to the optional 3-speed wipers with High, Medium, and Delay positions. <BR>The Owners Manual covered: Le Sabre, Estate<BR>Wagon, Electra, and Riviera.<P>Gene

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

Another interesting option. I have a 1973 Ford station wagon sales brochure and it mentions of a rear glass washer as a option on the full-size 73 Ford wagons. It was a very rare option I assume. It washes the glass when it is rolled down in the tailgate. However, I have heard it is not very effective. Delay wipers was also available on the full-size 73 Fords (not available I do not think on the 73 Chevrolets) but another interesting note, inside hood release was on the 71-72 Chevrolets (maybe even sooner) and according to the 73 Ford brochure, it was talking as if inside hood release was new on the 73 Fords. Just thought I would pass along this interesting note.<P>Tony<P>72 Buick Electra<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord<p>[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]