Buick Invicta?

Does anybody know of a Buick model, called Invicta? Does anybody have a picture? It must be produced in the late 50's or early 60's. Thank you so much!!! confused.gif" border="0

Guest Skyking

The Buick Invicta took over the Century name in 1959. It was the model between the LeSabre and Electra, formerly the Special and the Roadmaster. It lasted through 1962, when the name changed again mid year to the Wildcat. I have a 62 Invicta and it is amazing how many people never heard of the car at cruises or shows.........

I have a 59 Invicta 2dr hardtop and it gives me great humor watching people trying to figure out what it is. Unless someone is familiar with Buicks, they don't have a clue.Karsten, if you give me your email address, I'll send you a picture.<p>[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Tom ]

Buick said Invicta meant unbeatable, unconquerable, invincible. I believe it is literally "the unconquered" in Latin. For some time I thought it was the first 'made-up' domestic model name. <P>It must just be the spin I put on it when I say it, but the name sounds really tough to me.<P>MARK ~ 59-4637

Guest Skyking

DCM, is this the 61 Invicta that was on ebay a while back? It sure looks like it. I wish I could have bought it.<BR> One other thing about the Invictas. In 1962 you could only get a convertible in the Invicta or Electra, not in the LeSabre. And of course the Special ( A ) body offered a convertible.......

Skyking, there was no Wildcat convertible in 1962 -- only the two-door hardtop with the standard vinyl roof covering.<P>The Wildcat was technically part of the Invicta series in '62. Interestingly, there were also '62 Invicta Customs built in both convertible and 2-door hardtop form that had fancy bucket seat interiors and are closely akin to the 2,000 Wildcats built that year.<P>The '61 Invicta 2-door hardtop shown above looks like a beautiful car. For another example, check out the 23,000-mile '61 Invicta Custom 2-door hardtop with the bucket seat interior. This car can be seen at classicroad.com -- which is also a great place to check out all of the great '59 Buick photos and stories, especially the "World Buicks" section that shows '59 Buicks located all over the world.

Guest Skyking

Centurion, thanks for the info on the 62 Wildcat......The sight Classicroads.com is pretty nice, so is the 61 red Invicta. The car definitively needs the stock widewhites. The narrow whites do it no justice. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Skyking,<BR>I don't know if this was on ebay or not. It was listed here in one of the posts a while back and had a link to the website with the pics I posted. I always liked the 61. My dad had a 61 Special Deluxe wagon when I was a kid and my next door neighbor had a white 61 Invicta like the one here. <BR>This car listed was really nice and in NY to boot. But I presently have too many Buicks to even consider one more........ grin.gif" border="0 <BR>Sure hope someone got this one.<BR>Regards,<BR>Mark

I believe that the 2,000 production figure for the '62 Wildcat is indeed an estimate.<P>The Invicta name does not, to my knowledge, appear anywhere on the '62 Wildcat, but the car used the exact same model number as the '62 Invicta 2-door hardtop. That explains why it is difficult to know exactly how many of the model 4647 cars were actually Wildcats.<p>[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Centurion ]

DCM422,<P>That white '61 Invicta hardtop really caught my attention when I saw it for sale. I would like to have pursued it myself, but am unable to take on any additional cars.<P>In '61, I was seven years old when my folks took delivery of a new '61 LeSabre, and my aunt and uncle followed shortly with a new '61 Invicta in white with a blue interior. I loved that Invicta, and had the pleasure of riding in it many times over the years.<P>Of the 6 new Buicks my aunt and uncle purchased between 1957 and 1990, that 1961 Invicta was their favorite and the most reliable. It was truly an outstanding automobile, and one of its attributes was the deep trunk that allowed for transport of 5-gallon milk cans from the ranch to town. It breaks my heart when I visit the old hometown, and see this Invicta now rotting away in a farmer's pasture.

• 1 month later...