1953 Straight 8 oil filter container

Can someone tell me which way the oil inlet on my 1953 straight 8 engine oil filter container should face? I am replacing the container on my car since it is from a 1948 model. I have two containers, on one the inlet faces the radiator and on the other one it faces the firewall. Can anyone tell me which is the correct position of the oil inlet on the container for my 53 Buick? Also did the 1953 model have a drain plug at the bottom of the container?

Hello,maybe this might help I have a 1950 super engine unmolested the filter is installed with the upper fitting facing towards firewall and there is a drain plug.also from a 1949 Buick factory manual a passenger side view of engine shows the filter installed with the top fitting towards firewall in both cases drain plug is also oriented to firewall fore and aft.will try to look up part # for you and compare it for several years if its in my parts book. -scott

Thank you Scott for your help! I want my engine in my 53 Buick Special to be as original as possible and which way the oil inlet tube is placed is important to me. Maybe there are others who have an original 53 F263 engine that may help me. Thanks again!

Hello 53Buick, tried to look up part# for you but didn't have it. Still I suspect the filter is oriented the way I told you to eliminate all doubt you should try to get hold of original factory service manual for your car generally they show a good picture of the engine. Curious myself wasn't 1953 the first year for v-8 ? or did the v-8 go into only one model that year?-Scott

Hello Scott, I have seen the oil inlet fitting facing the firewall or the radiator. I have tried looking for pictures of the 1953 Buick Special Straight 8 engine but so far have not seen an orginal one. In 1953 the Super, Roadmaster and of course the Skylark were built with the new V8 engine; whereas, the 53 Buick was still built for the last year with an improved straight 8 with more horsepower. Most folks who own a 1953 Buick Special use the 52 shop manual since the 53 manual is geared towards the V8 models.