Modelworks 1901 Locomobile replica kit

Simon Cast

My name is Simon cast and I jointly own a model engineering company in Daventry, England called Modelworks:-

www.modelworks-int.com

We produce a range of large scale live steam models and a 1/8th scale Tiger tank available with either 1h.p. twin electric or 50 c.c. gasoline engine power. We will be producing a FULL scale replica of the 1901 Locomobile steam car. It will be supplied over a 12 month build as you buy concept, so the locomobile will be built up each month as we supply a set of components over the 12 month programme. There is already considerable interest in this model (albeit a full size model) and we are establishing a waiting list for people to register their interest with us. We anticipate producing no more than 100-120 at the most and we have about 25 spoken for so far, so I do not think it will be long before they will all be sold out.

Our waiting list is just that, a list of interested parties that we will contact when we are in a position to start taking deposits (probably towards the end of the summer after our prototype is completed) we will contact everyone on our list ask them if they still wish to proceed, if not we will move down the list and so on until our names are exhausted. If any locomobile kits remain we will then market it actively until they are all sold out, but given the enormous levels of interest we have experienced so far I think this is unlikely.

To register your interest and to be put onto our waiting list please contact me at:-

s.cast@ntlworld.com

the Modelworks website is :-

www.modelworks-int.com

Click onto the website, then click onto Future plans on the lower left hand side, then scroll down to read a little information about the Locomobile. You can also click onto a webpage that a gentleman by the name of Peter Brow (a steam car enthusiast in San Diego) has very kindly set up for us, all about the Modelworks Locomobile project. The address for that page is:-

www.angelfire.com/space/peterbrow/locomobile.html

Any further developments, I will of course keep you all informed as soon as I am able to.

Simon Cast Modelworks

• 1 month later...

re:- Modelworks 1901 locomobile replica

The Modelworks Locomobile prototype is now taking shape. The wood and leather supplier we have commissioned is building the first wooden body kit as I write this. When it is completed we will be visiting him to assess it for authenticity and accuracy. The wood will now definitely be Ash and the leather seats will be in black leather in a deep buttoned style.

Our waiting list now comprises over 50 names and addresses, combined with over 350 general enquiries. At this rate I now do not think it will be long before all 100 Locomobile kits will be allocated to waiting clients anxious, enthusiastic, and ready to start building.

The Stanley museum's quarterly bulletin are running a full page editorial on Modelworks and the Locomobile kit. They cannot carry advertising but they have been extremely complimentary and so consequently we have received a significantly increased level of enquiries because of this. As the project progresses with any new and interesting developments I will of course keep you all informed ASAP.

Kind regards

Simon Cast Modelworks

• 4 months later...

Well I hope this is the post you have all been waiting for, if it isn't then Modelworks have a bit of a challenge ahead of us! The Modelworks Locomobile replica brochures will be available from next month, and we will start to take securing deposits from then as well. The initial retail price will be £10,995 ($20,495) the deposit will be £1575 ($2855) and the subsequent payments for the 12 monthly kits of components will be £785 ($1470)

The first kit will be the 4 wheels and tyres and that will be sent out from December, November if it is at all possible to do so. We have established a databank with the Vintage Car Club of GB and the Stanley Museum in Maine. Every Modelworks Locomobile replica will carry its own unique chassis number. This along with the owner/builders contact details will be sent to these respective bodies. This way whenever one of "our" Locomobiles comes onto the open market for sale it can be distinguished from an original Locomobile as a modern day replica. This should help to maintain the true market value of the originals and prevent unscrupulous individuals from building one of our kits and then trying to sell it on as an original.

Once built our replicas will undoubtedly have some intrinsic market value (I estimate that figure to be the cost of the initial kit) and no doubt some people will inevitably negotiate a higher figure from time to time for a private sale but I personally believe that if anything our replicas will in actual fact increase the subsequent value of the original vehicles, particularly the really nice and mint condition originals that do still exist out there.

To order brochures and secure deposits from September onwards please contact Modelworks via either:-

e-mail at admin.modelworks@btconnect.com

or landline at +44 1327 301030

or snailmail at:-

Modelworks International (sales) LTD

3 Riley Close

Royal Oak

Daventry

Northants NN11 5QT

U.K.

You can also visit our website at www.modelworks-int.com

Thank you all so much for your enthusiasm, interest, and support we have received from the very beginning of this project right through to it now becoming a reality.

Just a quick post to let you all know that in view of the unprecedented levels of interest that Modelworks have received regarding the Locomobile replica kit that we are now accepting securing deposits and we have been since Tuesday the 17th of August. We will be producing no more than 100 Locomobile kits worldwide and we have already received 10 securing deposits. One gentleman in the UK has bought 5 Locomobiles by the way!

The deposit is £1289 ($2350) and the monthly figure is £595 ($1100) We are also programming the Locomobile over 18 not 12 months. Steve Baldock our senior designer has realised that the Locomobile is in fact a lot more fiddly than we had anticipated so if we had scheduled the Locomobile over 12 months each monthly kit would have required 25-30 hours each month to assemble. We aim for each kit to require no more than 10-15 hours to assemble so that is why it will now be 18 and not 12 kits.

To reserve your Locomobile replica kit please contact Modelworks at:-

brad.patton@btconnect.com

or you can contact us directly at:-

+44 1327 301030

Please bear in mind that we are 5 hours ahead of EST in England

Brad is our sales support/office manager and he will be happy to reserve your Locomobile kit. We will also be sending out brochures from September to interested parties so to request information please also contact brad at the e-mail address above.

Kind Regards

Simon Cast Modelworks