65 brake conversion help

you Guys, have been so helpful in every challange I have faced on my 65 special Conv. I did a disc brake conversion using 72 chevelle componets every thing bolted up and I order a new brake line set from inline tube. replaced the flex hose to the rear end,<BR>bleed the brakes and 20 min latter I dropped the motor in,72 buick frame mounts & engine mounts yea agian. here come the ahh sh_t. I went to put the valve covers on and I have no clearance at the brake booster, can't even get the one cover on. brake booster is 10 3/4 in DIA. so are they all the same size or on a 71 buick different DIA.?

John, I dropped a 1971 350 buick motor in, got it on ebay story was that it was a donation to a vo-tech school that closed in NJ. Hey, thanks for your help, you are always helpful to everyone!!!!

Here is my 2 cents on what may have happened. You used the 72 motor mounts/pads from which car? A 72 Skylark/GS 350 car or full size LeSabre? <BR>I put a 70 GS 455 motor in a 64 Skylark ages ago with a 69 Skylark disk brake system. Used a set of 67 GS 400 brackets and mounts and there was just enough room for the valve covers to clear the booster with the big block, so your 350 should be OK.<BR>If you used a full size car mount system it may have resulted in the motor sitting to high from the frame and causing clearance problems with the booster.<P>Mark

Wow, I think your right, I went in the garage and checked, looks like the bolt on the mount is about an inch above the frame and I can easly put my hand between the frame and oil pan the must be 2 inchs and about 3/4 inch would let me put my valve covers on. good call!!! now all I have to do is to find the frame mounts that would work best. you said that you had 67 GS mounts, did that move the position of the motor forward. I would think a big block 401 would be longer or would the the motor mount bolt postions be furthur back on the motor? any ideas??

Here is a quick reply for now (have to head to work). If you had a 300 in your 65 before, the mounts and brackets for it should fit the 350 and put things in place.<BR>Good luck<BR>Mark

I had frame mounts from a 6 cyl 225 the hole in the motor mounts are closer together. The first time I trail fitted the motor the frame mount holes were to close together. so I bid on some frame mounts on ebay said they came of a 1972 skylark 350 cleaned and painted and they lined up, I then started. frame off and disc brake conversion. Thought I had it together. confused.gif" border="0

The frame pads and mounts from a 68-72 Skylark should work as long as they were bolted to the correct holes in the frame. The 225 mount setup is likely not strong enough to handle a 350. <BR>The 66-67 340 is basically the same block as a 68 and up 350. So, I can't see any reason why you are having a problem. My only other thoughts are that you got frame pads from a LeSabre and not a Skylark. The rubber mounts are the same, so only the pads may be causing your problem. What you may have to do is locate a set of 65-67 300/340 pads and mounts and go from there. <BR>Maybe someone can take pics of a 340 setup in a 66/67 so you can see how close the power booster is to the valve covers. <BR>The 67 setup for a big block is a 400 and not a 401. It is also very different from a 340, so I can draw no comparison.<BR>Hopefully, you can eyeball a correct setup and get an idea if yours is correct or if you need different mount pads.<BR>Good Luck,<BR>Mark

In response to dmc422's question, there is 2" clearance between the power booster and the 340 valve cover. However, the booster vaccuum pipe runs through that clearance.<P>The 1966 and 1967 340's had different power brake boosters due to the intro of dual chamber master cylinders in 1967.