Hardtop corner leak?

I was wondering if anyone else had a problem with their hardtop leaking at the very corner where the top clamps down. I know with the door open it looked like the weathstripping was kinda far apart but when i shut the door the glass pushed it all together and it looks like it has a good seal. But then it started to rain and it started to drip.

I didnt know if this was a common problem with the hardtop or if its just mine. And im also concerned about whether or not it will still leak like that when the soft top is up.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Mine only leaks at the first rain right after I put the top on (hardtop or softtop), after that it is tight unless in a heavey rain. The hooks can be turned to tighten the fit if you need to, they have a set screw that needs to be loosened first. Don't make it fit too tight, though!

• 4 weeks later...

There is a TSB on this...

230590 900409 A-Pillar - Water Leak

SYMPTOM/CONDITION

When the hardtop or soft top is installed, unless care is taken, it is possible to fold the later style molded corner lip seal (PN 5253588) under at the A-pillar seal creating a path for water to enter the vehicle.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

If an owner returns a vehicle for service with a water leak at the top of the A-pillar, inspect the molded corner lip seal to insure proper installation as shown in the illustration. If the seal is improperly installed, loosen the top at the header, align the seal properly and lock the top at the header.

And this one...

232589 891229 Hardtop to Body - Water/Air Leaks, Hardtop Cracking

SYMPTOM/CONDITION

Improper fit of the hardtop on some early built Chrysler TC Coupes may result in water leaks, air leaks, and/or cracks in the hardtop in extreme cases. To insure proper hardtop fit, the following procedures have been developed.

PARTS REQUIRED

2 J-Hook PN 5253522

AR Spacer PN 4464593

AR Screw PN 9414713

ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURES

A. HARDTOP ADJUSTMENT

1. Position the hardtop on the vehicle and activate the electric pull-down. Latch the hardtop J-hooks at the header and at the side latch handles. Check the clearance between the header and the hardtop using a feeler gauge. The clearance must be between 1.0 and 2.0 mm (0.040 - 0.080 in.) along the entire front edge of the hardtop with no hardtop-to-molding contact allowed. If the clearance is within the tolerance, steps 2 through 5 are not required.

2. If the clearance is not acceptable, loosen the set screws in the J-hooks enough to allow the J-hooks to rotate freely.

3. Rotate the J-hooks as required to obtain 1.0 - 2.0 mm clearance at the header or until a maximum of 18.0 mm of threads are visible (Figure 1). If the clearance is acceptable, tighten the J-hook set screw to 10 +/- 2 in.lbs. torque.

4. If the clearance cannot be obtained, perform procedure B and/or C, if necessary.

NOTE: PROCEDURE B PROVIDES INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR A LONGER J-HOOK THAT MAY BE USED WHEN TOP-TO-HEADER CLEARANCE IS LESS THAN REQUIRED. PROCEDURE C PROVIDES ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURES FOR THE RUBBER BUMPERS WHEN THE CORNERS OF THE HARD TOP CONTACT THE WINDSHIELD HEADER. THE PROCEDURE USAGE IS DEPENDENT ON THE INDIVIDUAL SITUATION.

B. Revised J-Hook Use And Hardtpp Rubber Bumper Adjustment

1. Install J-hook (PN 5253522) and repeat steps 1-3 in Procedure A above.

2. Remove the hardtop from the vehicle and place it on a workbench upside down to access the molded rubber bumpers.

NOTE: WHEN PLACING THE HARDTOP ON A WORKBENCH, COVER THE WORKBENCH WITH A PROTECTIVE COVER TO PROTECT THE PAINT ON THE HARDTOP.

3. Remove the rubber bumpers (Figure 2) and add spacers (PN 4464593) under each bracket. A maximum of four (4) spacers per side are allowed. If the screw is too short, use screw (PN 9414713).

4. Install the hardtop on the vehicle and repeat Procedure A, steps 1-3

C. Hardtop A-Pillar Adjustment

Gently remove the weatherstrip from the retainer to access the front latch housing screws (Figure 3).

2. Remove the front latch housing screw and loosen the two screws at the side.

3. Pry the latch housing away from the hardtop at the front to allow clearance for spacing shims (washers).

4. Add a maximum of two (2) spacers (16.5 mm OD x 6.5 mm ID x 1 mm thick) to each side between the latch housing and the hardtop.

5. Install the front latch housing screw as shown (Figure 3) and tighten securely. Repeat Procedure A, steps 1-3.

6. Apply silicone sealer along the side rail edge to seal the hard top.

7. Test for water leaks.

Hope these help

jeff