Sign in to follow this  
HOOIE

HELP need engine ID

I`ve gotten a 67 Mustang GT with a 390 (I think) at least an FE engine. According to my Hollander, it should be the high horse 390. I`m afraid it isn`t the original engine. Has the S on the intake, but I`m thinking at least the heads aren`t correct. The exhaust manifold bolts are at the top and bottom of the ports and I can`t find any bolt holes at the front and rear of the ports. It has headers on it. Head casting # EDC 8090E are between middle plugs.How can I tell if this is the original engine or a transplant? Did any 390 Mustangs have exhaust manifold bolts top and bottom of ports? Is there a way to tell a 390 from a 352 without taking them apart? Thanks,Gary.

So this lets me ask a dumb question. Assuming the motor's original, would it have the VIN or the sequential production number of the car, stamped on it somewhere? GM cars have this as far back as the late '50's -

Unlike GM, Ford stamped a small metal tag with basic engine info and attached it to the coil bracket. If it is missing, you have to start digging into casting codes and the like to figure out what you have. Back in the early 70's I had a 64 Galaxy and I never did know what engine(original long gone)was in it until I pulled the heads for a valve job and we could measure things. Turned out to be a 352. At least Ford put the distributor up front for easy access!

That must make determining engine originality a bear without the tag, or even with one if someone figured out how to fake them or reinstalled the old one on a new engine... What can you do short of looking for date codes on castings and extrapolating based on the date the car was assembled?

On the bright side, I can get a chuckle the next time I see 'numbers matching' in an ad for a Ford -