65 Riviera, original tires????

Ok, this one's for the Riviera experts out there.<P>I have a beautiful 65, with believe it or not, only 50M original miles.<P>I am wondering if the tires are the originals, because they seem so old. They are Goodyear, H 78-15, bias ply, polyglass, custom power cushion.<P>Are these the original tire style that came with the car?<P>If not, does anyone know which tires are the original? And is there any way in hell to get these anymore?<P>The reason is, that I love the way these tires look. Very classy, with 8 very thin tread grooves. Newer tires are way too sporty, and look like crap.<P>Any help would be appreciated.

Guest 70 Electra

I'm no Riviera "expert" and can't tell you what the correct original tire size is, but I can tell you that H78 is NOT the original size for any 1965 automobile.<P>The alpha-numeric tire sizes were introduced in the 1967-68 time frame, generally as 70-series tires on "sporty" cars. The taller 78-series tires (G78, H78, etc) were, I believe, introduced on GM cars in the mid-69 timeframe. <P>The "old fashioned" numerical equivalent to the H78x15 would be a 8.45/8.55 x 15.

Rivieras from 63 until at least 67 used the 8.45 x 15 tires. This tire size was used almost exclusively on Rivs ( maybe Toronado too ). Based on conversations with tire reproducers, the demand for this size does not make it cost effective to reproduce it now or in the foreseeable future. <P>So, like all early Riv owners, your choices are to choose a repro bias ply tire in an incorrect size and possibly have squirrly handling or to use a modern radial tire in a metric size that matches the original section width and height and get dinged for points if you enter the car for point judging.

Thanks for the replies. One question though. What does 8.5 mean?? Not sure what that represents.<P>Still would like to know make and model of tire that came stock on the Rivis, if anyone knows. Thanks.

The standard tire size on my 64 Riv was 7.10 x15. the optional was 7.60 x 15. 65 was probably the same. I have the original tires for my 69 Electra and they are 8.85 x 15. Don't know a source other than maybe Coker. Lets not start another Coker thread here please.<P>Larry

Ok, thanks. What I'm really after is the exact brand and model tire that came of the showroom floor with the car. Was it Goodyear? Firestone? Was it the tire I listed? Thanks.

1965 Rivs used 8.45 by 15 tires, so did 66 and up according to Buick factory salesman literature. No optional tire size. Not sure about 63 or 64. No brands are mentioned but I know that Goodrich Silvertown bias plys were standard tires on some other Buick models in these years but not sure about Rivs.<P> Goodyear Touring radials in P 225R15 size were very close in overall dimensions to the original 8.45 x 15 tires. Have not checked for awhile but at the time I bought tires, these were only a few hundredths off in section width and height.