Help needed to disasemble rear end on 1909 Velie

jjnik

I cannot get the rear axles out of the rear end on my 1909 Velie. It is a semi-floating rear end with torque tube drive. The axles seem to be either stuck or fastened into to the diferential. I have the wheels and outboard bearings removed. There is no obvious way to see any way that the axles are fastened in the diferential since it is enclosed and only abe to be disasembled once the axles are pulled out and the differential is removed from the front of the pumpkin. There is not cover on the rear. Has anyone run across this problem or is there a book telling how to disasemble this rear end. I cannot identify the maker for sure but think it might be a Timken. There is nothing about this particular rear end in the Dykes book. I beleive that the rear axles are square where they go into the diferential but cannot see them to be certain. All other shafts on the trans and drive shaft are square. Any help would be much apreciated. I would be glad to call if you think you have an answer email your phone number. VelieRearEnd1909

Guest imported_oldmitchell

Just making an educated guess as I have no personal Velie experience. If there is no access to the center section with the axles in the housing then it is not likely that there is a retainer. You wouldn't be able to get to it to remove it. Try tapping gently with a brass hammer. Sometimes the gear lube has turned to varnish/goo over the years and is causing the axles to stick.

Thanks for the input. I agree that there is most likely no keeper. I have made a puller to apply pressure to the axles outward and have pressure on both axles and they are very tight in the diferential. I am wondering if the axles could be twisted/stuck in the differential and if this is the case how will I get them loose without breaking something?

Any possibility you could post a couple of pictures of the rear end. Something just doesn't sound right if a puller is not budging it. I would be afraid of breakage. Have you tried loosening the bolts holding the center section? Perhaps there is some sort of offset drive that actually turns the axles?

Yes I am afraid of breakage so I am going easy. The center cover/casting/diferential housing is held on by studs and I have removed the nuts. I even tried to remove the studs thinking maybe they screwed into something inside that would be holding the axles. They just twist off because they are staked on the inside of the rearend housing. When pulling on one axle or the other it will pull the other axle and the differential assembly showing that the two axles are quite tight in the differential. I have posted some photos at the following address: http://www.msnusers.com/VelieRearEnd1909

I am afraid that looking at the pictures doesn't help me much. I am going to guess that there are either some hidden retainers in the diff area or the bearings at the end are press fit. I will talk to friends and see if they can help.

There is no way to split the housing. It is formed in one piece. This is how the '09 Velie literature describes the rear end."Semi-floating type; the shafts are squared in the equalizing gear, permiting their withdrawl and the subsequent removal of the equalizing gear without removing axle from car. Housing of one piece drawn steel permiting of minimum weight with maximum strength and a perfectly smooth outside construction. There are in the rear axle six sets of Timken roller bearings."