How fast?

hi,<BR>I'm from England, and have just got interested in classic American cars. You know how it is, most new stuff is so boring.<P>Well I've found a '68 Wildcat that looks really great, good price, and seems well looked after. No apparent damage, just minor little problems - door locks, etc.<P>The BIG problem for me is that it does not seem to have the power I would expect from 360bhp. No where near.<P>Could it be that I was simply not pressing the gas pedal enough (dealer was with me), or could it be that the car is a basket case with nice paint?<P>The info I got off the 'net says 0-60mph in 8 seconds, but it feels like 28 to me.<P>Is it worth me going back to look again?<P><BR>Carl

HI Carl, it is possible that you didn't get in it, but then it is also very possible that the carburetor is not functioning properly. Was the car warmed up? as the secondaries of the quadrajet don't open until the choke is completely off. I'd take it out again, maybe with out a rider and see what it'll do, should get up and go like you think it should. Let us know what you decide. Good luck. Roberta

0-60 in 8 seconds sounds about right for that car.<BR>Big old cars aren't the fastest things on wheels, but its the torque that is the best thing about them. See how long of a burnout it will do. I'd say between 30 and 100 feet, or should I say 9-30 meters wink.gif" border="0 .

Ah !! I think the choke may have been out, I remember seeing the guy tweak something on the dashboard. <P>This is a new sort of car for me - I have driven newer stuff like the Taurus when I was on holiday 10 years ago, but this is way different.<P>I think I have to go back for another look. The car is just too good to leave there without another go.<P>Thanks for your backup up!<P>Hey, we still use feet & inches & miles per hour over here! the French haven't got to us yet, even if I do have to buy "litres" of petrol now.<P>Well, if I get this one or not, I think that in 2002 I will be driving an American motor.<P><BR>cheers, Carl

By the way, how do you do a burnout in a car? I'm ok with bikes, 'cos you can use the brakes independantly. Cars though?<P>Aghhh! more questions: what is the expected life time of a 6600cc engine in miles?<P>Thanks again.

How do you do a burnout??? shocked.gif" border="0 Wow Carl you must have some gutless cars over there. From a standing start just mash the throttle to the floor. Half throttle should be enough to chirp the tires on any decent V8 powered car. If it doesn't want to spin the wheels then their is another option. Push the brake and the gas to the floor. Most RWD cars will overpower the rear brakes and light up the tires. (I did this on my old Chevy, not my Buick.) <P>If you want to peel out in a front-wheel drive car just pull the Emergency brake and step on the gas. <P>If you want some more tips on how to beat on a car let me know. grin.gif" border="0

hi, UK cars are a whole different game to US metal.<P>For example, I have 2 cars, a Daimler Chrysler "Smart" car, and a Peugeot 206lx.<P>The Smart weighs 720kg, has a 55bhp engine, and traction control. Also RWD. No wheelspin ever. Also goes up to 65mpg if driven sensibly. Engine is 600cc, intercooled turbo !!! amazing, huh?<P>The Peugeot is only 1.4 litres, 90bhp, 1300kg, FWD, and if you leave the hand (parking) brake on, will still move forward while wheelspinning. <P>The Smart is electronically limited to 90mph, but would get to 115 eventually.<P>The Peugeot will make 115 easy.<P>Both these cars are economical, and very good on corners & twisty roads.<P>So, wimpy power maybe, but from A to B on Englands narrow roads, far faster than the Wildcat...<P>Anyway, I am still trying to decide if I buy the thing.<P>Petrol in UK is about 6 dollars a gallon. Does that help you understand my caution?!!<P>Thanks for writing!<P>Carl

The color is Burgundy Iridium according to a '73 Buick color chart that I looked at once at a Carlisle show. That picture was also taken the day after I spent many hours washing and detailing the exterior using the Meguirs 3 step process of paint cleaner, polish, and wax. Not a quick and easy task when your car is over 19 feet long rolleyes.gif" border="0 .