1924 buick truck-1954 buick series 50 super v8 2 door

i am getting ready to buy a 1924 buick truck and a 1954 buick series 50 super v8 2 door hardtop...both will be for sale....i am trying to find out about the 1924 buick...did they make trucks then or is this some other buick coverted into a buick...have pics for anyone interested to see and would appreciate any info you have...thanks...bob

Guest DeSoto Frank

While Buick Division may not have offered a truck in '24, Graham Bros. (among other builders) offered trucks built on various chassis, including Cadillac, Dodge Bros. and possibly Buick.

I have also personally seen a flower car (funeral vehicle) built on a 1934 Buick 90 chassis, body built by the Flxible (sic) company ( As in Flxible Bus).

It was also quite common to convert old four-door sedans into trucks by sectioning the sedan body just behind the center pillar and closing it off.

(Watch the movie "The Grapes of Wrath" for just such a conversion on a 1925 Hudson Super-Six sedan.).

The Beverly Hillbillie's "truck" was a 1921 Oldsmobile four-cylinder touring car turned into a truck. (I believe this vehicle was pretty much used "as found" for the series.)

It was also common for old sedans to be made into tow trucks, as they could be had cheaply and usually had big enough engines and low gearing to make them good tow vehicles.

So, your '24 Buick could've been a "cowl & chassis" sent to a truck builder (in which case there should be another Builder's plate somewhere on the body), or it might've been a home-made cut-down from a sedan.

I've seen some home-made pick-ups that were very neatly done, and I've also seen some really ugly "Okie" hack-jobs....

Maybe the Buick Club (listed on the AACA Main page) could help ?