1950 grille teeth question--help!

Does anyone have a 1950 body manual, or have you reassembled your 1950 grille? I took mine apart for replating, and neglected to write down the order of the teeth. Now, after many frustating hours, I cannot figure out the correct numerical order for reassembly. I'm aware of the stamped numbers on the side, but will someone PLEASE tell me what orders the numbers go in from left to right? THanks.<P>Pete Phillips, BCA #7338<BR>Ector, TX.<BR>1950 46-S<BR>1954 66-R<BR>1956 46-R<BR>1958 46-R

Boy now thats funny! I just went out and wrote numbers on mine last night for when I take it apart!!! Glad I did!<BR> OK standing in front of it looking at it.<BR>LEFT SIDE 4,2,0,8,7,6,1,3,5 RIGHT SIDE<BR> 7 is your center tooth!<BR>Good luck and have fun!<BR>Tom H. smile.gif" border="0

Bill & Tom,<P>Thanks for the info and the offer. Believe that's all I need to get it back together. No wonder I couldn't figure it out--there is no rhyme or reason to that numerical order! OF course, I know it has to do with the height and angle of the teeth, but I never would have figured it out myself.<P>Pete Phillips

smile.gif" border="0 Bill?<BR> Do you need any teeth? There was a guy that had 8 of them for sale on E bay. I can give you the link if you want it?<BR> The ones he had are the ones that are good on mine mad.gif" border="0 (grumbles)<BR> Taker easy bud tongue.gif" border="0 <BR>Tom H. (arizona) rolleyes.gif" border="0

I have nothing to add but will share a couple memories. My father bought a 1950 Buick when I was in high school (age 16). I loved that car and kept it in immaculate condition. Among the things I would do from time to time is remove the grill teeth and polish them one by one. I recall running into some difficulty trying to figure out which went where when I was to reinstall them but must have figured it out somehow. <P>Another memory is a problem we had with the starter solenoid. The factory clamp that held the rubber boot in place did not completely surround the solenoid housing causing a bubble in the boot. This bubble allowed sand (we were farmers and lived on a gravel road) to work its way into the solenoid and caused it to stick. Therefore, the car would not start. This happened when the car was only a few days old and my father in disgust walked away from it. I had a date that night and was determined to get it started. I discovered the bubble in the solenoid boot , disassembled and cleaned the solenoid and substituted a clamp that completely surrounded the boot. I made my date that night and no more solenoid problem. Our 1950 was a model manufactured late in the year so I would assume that problem must have been experienced by others.

Hey Bill!!! LOOK!!!<BR> (grabs the teeth and runs!!!)<BR>U lucky dog you. All but 4 of my teeth have dings on them. But....since I have learned how to electroplate I can restore them for next to nothing. Just a lot of elbow grease and sweat.<BR> If you want to take a look at my (dream) <A HREF="http://members.home.net/oldies1955/web/buick_page.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://members.home.net/oldies1955/web/buick_page.htm</A> <BR> Taker easy and good luck on your project<BR>Tom h. grin.gif" border="0

• 4 years later...

Bringing this thread back to life.....

I am glad that this was able to be found as the card I wrote the numbers on and stuck in the bag with the bolts were eaten by mice.

I spent 4 - 6 hours the last few days putting the grill together, loosening it up, taking it apart and then back together again before I finally got everything to fit and go together correct. What a monstrosity that grill is.

Figuring out how to put the pieces with the lights was fun but not as much fun as the bottom chrome piece.

Now if I can get it out of the living room and into my truck for the trip to the car.

If anyone needs an extra set of teeth, I have a set.

• 5 years later...

Is it a "6" or a "9" ?

It's interesting to note that Buick, in their Parts Manual listing as noted in Leif's Post #12 above, DID NOT call for a #6 tooth.....but a #9 tooth. So, looking at the grille from the front of the car, the numbering sequence, left to right, should be 4 2 0 8 7 9 1 3 5......NOT 4 2 0 8 7 6 1 3 5 as mentioned in the Guest's Post #2 above. This kinda adds to the confusion for the guy looking for a #6 tooth.

People get confused with an upside down "6" or an upright "9" without an underscore, like "6" or "9". When you put two together, i.e. "69" or "96" it doesn't matter when you're using these two numbers for parts identifying purposes, because they read the same.....right side up or upside down. :D

Al Mack

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)